The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Horton Summit 150 crossbow. Is there any way I can uncock this bow with the rope cocker and do it safely? I don't want to go to an Excalibur just for that advantage. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Would'nt try to do that with the rope cocker...Personally,
I don't think it can be done safely.....Get a de-cocking arrow. I leave mine cocked and shoot the target when I get home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been carrying a blunt point with me and change a bolt over to it and shoot an old stump. I just saw the ad for the Excalibur rope cocker and thought maybe the same would work for me and/or other brand crossbow users.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
You can do it with a rope cocker I did it once with my Horton but you need someone to help you, I put the cocker on the string, pull back and got my wife to take the safe off, then I slowly let it down. I wouldn't advise it for youngsters though.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
You should never uncock a compound crossbow without firing it.It may end up being a dryfire and that isn't good.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I fire a damaged bolt into the ground off the back porch. Takes less time then putting the rope cocker on the crossbow

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
diablo666 said:
You should never uncock a compound crossbow without firing it.It may end up being a dryfire and that isn't good.
It's my bow i'll do what I want with it

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I did not say you can never do it,I said you should never do it.I don't care if your limbs explode.However practicing and recommending an unsafe practice are very different things.If you read the owners manual and it states not to do it.That means it is unsafe.Even if it is yours.Excalibur states it is safe.Does Horton?

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
I don't understand why one wouldn't just use a junk arrow and shoot it into the dirt. Or carry a target if you must. So much easier than uncocking. I've been doing that with my Horton for years.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
When a friend of mine brought his set up they included a dense foam ball that looked like a soccer ball. When he is finished hunting he tosses out the ball at the truck and fires a practice bolt into it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Moss said:
diablo666 said:
It's my bow i'll do what I want with it
True statement it’s yours and yours to do whatever you want with it, BUT I wouldn’t recommend it to others starting out or even veterans with Xbows for that matter because it is a unsafe act for sure. Not my opinion, but the experts (manufacturers) Plain and simple, waste one bolt and use it to fire into the dirt 5 foot away. Easy to pull out and safe. I used a bolt / field tip all year and bet it’s still straight as a arrow

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Just shoot it... your $4.00 bolt isnt worth blowing up your bow. I had a guy one time say he could uncock it by hand. I laughed (it was his bow) and he did it and had a nice trip to the hospital after.

·
Super Moderator
24,066 Posts
The only reason I did it the way I did was because I didn't have any bolts to do it with. I had 3 that came with it and they were junk from the manufacturer, nocks broke and the inserts came out. I have 1 in my target right now buried with a broadhead and insert and towards the end of the season I had 1 left that I was using to hunt with so I wasn't using it to uncock the bow. I called Horton about the defective arrows I had, they knew about the arrows and they were supposed to send me new ones, which I never saw yet. That was 2 months ago.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll stick with the old bolt and stump idea. Sometimes I'm 1/2 mile or more from the truck and feel I shouldn't be carrying a cocked crossbow after dark (even though the bolt is in the quiver)should a WCO question me.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
don't understand why one wouldn't just use a junk arrow and shoot it into the dirt.
I did just that. Problem was that our camp in a flood plain with very soft soil. Buried that bolt in the bank I shot into and never saw the thing again. LOL

Discharge targets are very cheap. Think I saw one for 20 bucks. That is the solution.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts