The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle has permission on a really good turkey property. He roosted some birds the night before and we came up with a basic game plan for the morning.
Birds were gobbling everywhere off the roost......7-8 different birds in a few directions.
We heard a group of birds hit the ground so I started into my feeding call routine. Do-wits, whines, purrs, clucks, and single note yelps........quiet and nothing too exciting but the birds heard me for sure.
A lone gobbler was approaching from behind so I switched my gun barrel in his direction. Uncle was positioned in front of me, overlooking a runt and a DSD jake.
The bird from behind appeared in the fog, gobbling occasionally and strutting......coming slowly.
Every once in a while I'd peak back at the dekes just in case something locked on to them. About the 12th time I looked, there they came. That gobbling quartet that shut up for about 1/2 hr was coming down the tractor lane, all half-puffed and cocky-walking.
I slowly maneuvered my attention and gun barrel in their direction.......red dot on and safety off......I could have killed any one of those birds for at least 5 minutes while I was waiting for my Uncle to get a shot.........seemed like an eternity.
Suddenly one of the birds jumped my DSD and it sounded like a basketball was getting beaten with a rubber hose........2 seconds later BANG!
The other 3 immediately went airborne and out of town.

Turns out his back was hurting him, or maybe he was just a little tired, but he decided to lay down and missed the majority of the show until the flogging took place. Jury is still out on whether or not he was actually sleeping........

Milk, egg, Panko-Parm-flour,............good stuff.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,974 Posts
Awesome bird, congrats to both of you!

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts