The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With March upon us, my fishing season un-officially kicked off with Sunday’s trip. Although most streams in the SE area were running crystal clear and low, I decided to make a half day trip of it despite the less-than-perfect conditions. The first stream I hit was a bigger stream (50+ feet wide) that I have had mixed results on in the past. I arrived at stream #1 around 7:30 to 32 degree air temps. I had a couple swipes on my first half dozen casts, but after that nothing. I kept moving upstream and hitting all the good holding water, but nothing. After an hour of this I decided to move on. Not sure if this stream got pounded on Saturday or I just stink at fishing larger water, but I was anxious to move on.

After looking at my maps, I decided to check out another stream that was a few miles away that I had never fished before. When I arrived at the second stream, I was impressed. Other than some scattered auto debris on the banks, it had that nice look and feel to it. Within minutes I had my first trout of the day in hand.

The action was non-stop on stream #2. There was a major hatch going on (midges?) and the trout were going nuts on the surface and below. It was just awesome fishing!

Unfortunately, stream #2 was pretty short and started to run through backyards that ran real, real close to people’s houses. Although I didn’t see any “Posted” signs, it always seems weird to me to fish in someone’s backyard when it’s that close.

So after only 30 minutes, I hopped out of the stream and headed back to the car to move on to another stream.

When I arrived at stream #3 (another bigger stream), I had high expectations. I had never fished this section before, but there were plenty of runs and riffles, plenty of roots and overhang and to top it off, the water was slightly off color. I thought it was going to be lights out… Twenty minutes later I was heading back to my car in amazement. Not a single trout caught or even spotted. I just can’t catch a break on bigger streams.

It was about 11:15 at this point and I decided to give one more stream a try. It’s a stream that I have fished a handful of times and have always done very well on. This small stream runs right through a big park and always has lots of joggers and dog walkers. First cast and boom, fish on! Even though the water was lower than usual and gin clear, the trout just kept coming to hand. Two elderly (70+), female joggers were quite impressed with the show I was putting on
LOL.

After twenty minutes of moving upstream and picking off trout after trout, I spotted two guys fishing from shore. I hop out of the stream and start to walk upstream of them giving them plenty of space. They immediately pick up their stuff and start following me. I walked close to a ¼ mile and decided to hop back in figuring that maybe they were calling it a day and heading to their car. Nope, they parked their fat @sses right in the next hole above me and started looking at me and giggling to one another. At that point I had enough and called it a day.

Although the day ended on a crappy note, it was still a decent kick-off to the 2013 season. Now starts planning for next weekend’s trip. We just need some rain now to bring these streams up a bit.

·
20,126 Posts
Nice start! With all the places you're hitting you should consider some stream pictures. It can be done discretely as you've seen by my posting. I'm always curious to see the water more then the trout lol. You're the perfect candidate for this.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
After seeing post after post over they years from diehard spin fisherman, I've come to one very big conclusion. Anybody that is a solid spin fisherman and doesn't use those multi-sized gold bead spinners with a white tip, is probably making a mistake. Those things catch fish.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trout 2003 said:
Nice start! With all the places you're hitting you should consider some stream pictures. It can be done discretely as you've seen by my posting. I'm always curious to see the water more then the trout lol. You're the perfect candidate for this.
Every time I do a write-up, I always kick myself for not taking any stream shots. It seems that I'm always in such a hurry to make another cast, that I don't take full advantage and enjoy the surroundings. I agree that stream shots do add flavor to the forum posts. I'll make it a goal for this year to include some stream pics in each write-up.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Fleroo said:
After seeing post after post over they years from diehard spin fisherman, I've come to one very big conclusion. Anybody that is a solid spin fisherman and doesn't use those multi-sized gold bead spinners with a white tip, is probably making a mistake. Those things catch fish.
I wonder who designed them, back in, say, 1981?

·
20,126 Posts
Who....Swiss Swing??? haha. Just kidding Frank. Ya, I'm a admitted Frank spinner copy cat. Mine have subtle differences but it's all based on Franks designs on spinners. HEAVY! and he's a pioneer with that. Little to no plastic. I can still remember the first one I made and used. It was very tough to get used to the weight. Now I can't cast a production spinner to save my life. I will say that with the exception of fresh hatchery fish that color has little to no barring on our success. It's just how I make them. Used to use a yellow terminal bead exclusively and had just as much luck.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Hmmmmmm... can't say I know fer sure, but whoever it is, is probably kicking themselves for not getting a PATENT right about now.
I noticed most of those Feesh Creek Spinners take on that stacked bead look also.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Fleroo said:
I don't know about that. I never use gold only silver and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Mine have subtle differences but it's all based on Franks designs on spinners. HEAVY!
I'd imagine with the weight of those, coupled with a downstream retrieve with current, that spinner is really hummin through the water. The strikes are probably quick and strong due to those factors, which means there's little room for error when setting. It also takes a top of the line rod/reel combo to effectively pull that type of fishing off, which I suspect, most run-o-the-mill spin fisherman lack.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I don't know about that. I never use gold only silver and have never had a problem.
Having no problem, and doing what some of these fellers are doing, are two different worlds.

But get your photos up, and log those catch rates, and you can convince me on the silver beads too.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Fleroo said:
Having no problem, and doing what some of these fellers are doing, are two different worlds.

But get your photos up, and log those catch rates, and you can convince me on the silver beads too.
That sounds like a good challenge to me. lol

·
20,126 Posts
I wouldn't challenge you....I've seen pics of the fish you catch. You're a 'baller'. Clearly know what you're doing.

I don't even think spinner type is a big deal. There's a fellow i know of that tears them up with panther martins. To me its all the presentation. Present a spinner, any spinner, in the proper manner and you'll catch way more fish then if you don't.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
I wouldn't challenge you....I've seen pics of the fish you catch. You're a 'baller'. Clearly know what you're doing.

I don't even think spinner type is a big deal. There's a fellow i know of that tears them up with panther martins. To me its all the presentation. Present a spinner, any spinner, in the proper manner and you'll catch way more fish then if you don't.
I agree with that for the most part but there is something about the colored bead on the end. I have had days with one color bead and it will be slow and i can switch to the exact same spinner just different color bead and start hammering them and the it can be the exact opposite combination the next time. I am gonna devote some time to that this year and try to figure out if it is something with temp or water clarity or sunlight or what it is. My spinners are all panther martin type. I just have better look with them spinning at slow speeds in some of the smaller streams i fish.

·
20,126 Posts
At least with the type of spinner I use I cant say that bead has even changed a thing. Now with a rooster tail I have seen many times were a certain color with completely out fish another. I recall a time long ago on Turtle Creek in SWPA that the only and I mean ONLY thing that would catch a trout was a white rooster tail with a silver blade. They wouldn't touch anything else but that. No bait nothing. I caught trout on every cast for an hour until I lost and then couldn't buy another trout after that. It was crazy. I dont see that any longer though but then again the spinner I use is highly ineffective on pressured stocked trout. Just about the worst thing I've ever used for trout that are on the spook. A rooster tail type spinner is FAAAAARRRR more effective on opening day stockies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts