The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 7mm Rem Mag... Trying to figure out what kind of round to shoot through it... I've read that a lot of guys use 140 gr Nosler Accubonds. Anybody have any opinions about this round?

Im looking for a round that I know will get the job done from anywhere from close range to 200 yds. No extensive long range shooting.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
To 200 yards just take your pick. I did have the 140 grain AccuBond fail on me in a 7-STW once. Never tried them again.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have always had very good accuracy and performance with 139gr Hornady Spire Points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have always used the Remington Core Lokt 150 grain bullets in my 7mm mag. The round is very accurate and leaves quite a hole in a deer.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I'll assume you are talking deer hunting since the game isn't stated.
To me, if you are only shooting out to 200 yards, the only reason to buy a magnum rifle is to shoot heavier bullets faster. You don't need at all to push a 140 grain bullet at 3200 fps for a 200 yard or less shot. You could make that shot with a 7/08 and 140 grain bullets so why deal with the extra rife weight and muzzle blast?
I would shoot 160/165 grain bullets for what you state. Trajectory will be negligible and penetration better than 140's.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
When I bought my 7 mag in the late 70s I got 2 boxes of hornady frontier 154 g and they worked ok for me. When I started to load for it I tried 139 g and my friend and I couldn't find a load we liked. We ended up shooting 145 g speer hot cores with 62 g of 4350, very accurate and pretty fast. I don't take alot of long shots but have made afew and I know this load will do the job.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I don't like the super slow powders in any of my magnums, too dirty for all that I gain... I've settled on H-4350 for all of them including the short mags, even though velocity is not as high in my opinion they are just as accurate if not more so and much cleaner and easier to keep clean. A good premium bullet, 140 partition of x-bullet and your reading to take on everything in pa for the rest of your days.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use IMR 4831 powder. Don't know the weight off the top of my head. I think I use Speer 165 soft point boat tail. I know it is 165 grain, but am uncertain on the boat tail without looking. Loaded a handful of rounds and had a nickel covering 3 shots at 50 yards which is good for my unsteady hand!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Barnes 140 TSX IMR 4831 66.0 gr. You won't drive a semi through the exit hole and you won't get a lot of blood shot meat but it'll drop them in their tracks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for over 25 years. Four different rifles. A factory round has never been through any of them. Always reloaded my own. Taken one or more deer with them every year of those 25. I've tried various loads and bullets in that 140 to 175gr range. None of them will beat my grandfather's old load of a 160 gr. Sierra boattail pushed by IMR 4831. If you start going above 150 Gr bullets though, you are going to get some significant meat damage if you make a bad shot (at least on deer). That being said I still shoot grandpa's load, and any deer or bear within 300 yards, that I care to put in the freezer finds itself in my freezer a day or two later.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Se7enRemMag said:
If you start going above 150 Gr bullets though, you are going to get some significant meat damage if you make a bad shot (at least on deer).
I've been shooting my 7mag since the early 90's and my experience is the exact opposite. I get less meat damage with the heavier bullets. The heavier ones tend to have thicker jackets which don't disintegrate into shrapnel on impact, not to mention traveling at slower velocities to begin with because they are heavier. They tend to retain more weight, punch all the way through and not blow up. Pencil sized entry hole, nickel sized exit hole, no muss, no fuss. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
kudu58 said:
Se7enRemMag said:
If you start going above 150 Gr bullets though, you are going to get some significant meat damage if you make a bad shot (at least on deer).
I've been shooting my 7mag since the early 90's and my experience is the exact opposite. I get less meat damage with the heavier bullets. The heavier ones tend to have thicker jackets which don't disintegrate into shrapnel on impact, not to mention traveling at slower velocities to begin with because they are heavier. They tend to retain more weight, punch all the way through and not blow up. Pencil sized entry hole, nickel sized exit hole, no muss, no fuss. JMHO.
Those are the experiences I have had with heavy for caliber bullets also.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have seen two deer shot with the 140 gr Sierra BT Spitzer in 7mm mag. and the exit holes were the size if baseballs. In my 7mm mag. I shoot the 168 gr. Berger VLD'S for now but I have also used 160, 162, and 168gr. bullets Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra and they all worked very well. If I were going to shoot a lighter bullet in the 7mm mag. it would be the 140 gr. Sierra BT Spitzer.

Drags

1 - 17 of 17 Posts