The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have enough confidence in my reloading skills to stop using factory loads. In the past I have used nosler partitions for elk but was thinking of switching to the barnes triple shock. I have not be happy with the accuracy of the partitions beyond 200 yrds. In the partitions I have been using 150 gr in a 270 win and 165 gr in 30-06 and 300 win mag. Someone was telling me that if I go with the barnes solid copper bullets I can go down in weight. He recommended going down to 110 gr for deer and 130 gr for elk and moose. I am wondering what bullet types some of you have used successfully for big game out west.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I think the 110s for deer and the 130s for elk and moose would be a little light..Moose and elk are big boned big bodied animals..I would try no less then 140 for these animals.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In my 7mm08 I use 165 gr Nosler Accubonds for moose. Did the job for me in Newfoundland at 300 yards and very accurate out to at least 400 yards (sub MOA).

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
180 grain accubond bullets (.30-06) have worked great for me. I too had the same problem with the nosler once I started shooting further distances. The accubond really tighted up my groups. I agree with burk313 about the 130 grain being to light for elk/moose but think 110 is plenty for deer size game.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Like the others said ive been shooting accubonds the last 2 seasons and so far i think they may be the perfect bullet...accuracy of a ballistic tip and expansion and penetration of a partition...bad reviews are tough to find...tons more good reviews than bad...

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I dont gun hunt anymore, but Ive got my dad shooting 225 gr Barnes TSX in the Federal .338 Win Mag loads for the big stuff out of his Savage Model 11. MOA groups at 250 yards with factory loads aint too shabby. Havent had a chance to shoot it further than that. I would also have to agree that you're on the light side, and you should load something heavier particularly for moose. The TSX have incredible reviews all around.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I shot an elk in the neck at 80 yards with a 180 gr. Nosler Partition(out of a .300 WBY), and he dropped without a twitch........

·
Registered
594 Posts
I shoot Barnes 168 TSX out of my 300 Win and am very happy with the accuracy and performance on elk. I haven't shot the TTSX but I have a friend that does and they are very accurate out of his guns and a bit better for long range due to higher BC.

As a general rule, Barnes bullets shoot better when they are loaded further from the lands than most bullets. I have mine .050 from the lands and my friend has his .070 from the lands.

Elk and moose are big, tough animals. If you have a 300 Win, you have a nearly perfect caliber for either of these animals. For these two species, my preference is 165 - 180 grain bullets.

I am sure the Accubond is another bullet that would do the job but I have not been able to get them to shoot as well as Barnes in my guns.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
PHA said:
I shoot Barnes 168 TSX out of my 300 Win and am very happy with the accuracy and performance on elk. I haven't shot the TTSX but I have a friend that does and they are very accurate out of his guns and a bit better for long range due to higher BC.

As a general rule, Barnes bullets shoot better when they are loaded further from the lands than most bullets. I have mine .050 from the lands and my friend has his .070 from the lands.

Elk and moose are big, tough animals. If you have a 300 Win, you have a nearly perfect caliber for either of these animals. For these two species, my preference is 165 - 180 grain bullets.

I am sure the Accubond is another bullet that would do the job but I have not been able to get them to shoot as well as Barnes in my guns.
I couldn't agree more! I do shoot the TTSX out of my .30-06 in the 168 gr weight and from whitetails to elk, I couldn't be happier. Absolutely awesome performance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of good information, nothing like getting information from people that have actual experience with the product. I will try both the barnes TSX and the nosler accubond.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I love 180 gr Partitions and what they do to Whitetail and even close range Black bear Thats all I shoot out of my 30-06. I was having same accuracy issues as mentioned in my 300 RUM beyond 100 yards. A friend got me to load up the Barnes TSX in 168 gr and issues resolved. Dropped mulies and elk with this load and i am very pleased.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
This type of thread is always interesting because of the varied responses. Pretty obvious that while some do have a clue about such things as ballistics, penetration, and quality of bullets, some do not.

Since I have been there, done that, and occasionally wear the tee shirt, here is my take on bullets to use on elk and moose. Both are larger than whitetails. Nearly any bullet will kill a whitetail. The same is not true for moose or elk without a measure of luck. If you hit on in a perfect spot to take out either the heart or both lungs, nearly any bullet will do the job, but hunting does not always present a perfect situation where you have a can't miss shot at those targets. Sometimes you have to take a shoulder shot and the bullet must penetrate and break large bones, thus a bullet that flies apart at impact simply will not do that job. Another factor that interests me is that some guys will book a moose hunt and spend thousands of dollars, but will go to Wally World and buy the cheapest ammunition they can find to save money.

I have taken two moose. On one, I used Barnes X older style bullets. It died with one shot. The other, I used Swift A-Frame bullets. It died with one shot. I have kiled four elk. One was taken with a compound bow; the others with rifle. All three were taken using older style Barnes X bullets. I haven't tried the new triple shock bullets, but friends who have think they are superb.

If you intend to reload for elk or moose, I suggest that you use good bullets that will hold together and do damage the whole way through the animal and will break large bones like the humerus. Here are a few photos of bullets that did the job.
In the first photo, all bullets were shot from my .300 Weatherby.

this photo shows a 139 grain Hornady interbond bullet removed from a Dall Ram. Rifle was a Ruger 7mm rem mag.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I know that a bull elk is a pretty tough animal and have seen lots of shows where the dust flies off the hide and they show no signs of being hit for a moment. Moose die pretty fast if hit well but remember that a big alaskan moose may be 2X the size of one from Maine or eastern Canada. If I'm in Alaska I want a big gun with a good bullet that will stop anything that lives there. Think BIG BEARS!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've killed 3 bull elk with the farthest being 222 yards. All were shot with a 160 grain Nosler Partition out of a 7mm Mag. They all fell right where I shot them!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
muttleysback said:
This type of thread is always interesting because of the varied responses. Pretty obvious that while some do have a clue about such things as ballistics, penetration, and quality of bullets, some do not.

Since I have been there, done that, and occasionally wear the tee shirt, here is my take on bullets to use on elk and moose. Both are larger than whitetails. Nearly any bullet will kill a whitetail. The same is not true for moose or elk without a measure of luck. If you hit on in a perfect spot to take out either the heart or both lungs, nearly any bullet will do the job, but hunting does not always present a perfect situation where you have a can't miss shot at those targets. Sometimes you have to take a shoulder shot and the bullet must penetrate and break large bones, thus a bullet that flies apart at impact simply will not do that job. Another factor that interests me is that some guys will book a moose hunt and spend thousands of dollars, but will go to Wally World and buy the cheapest ammunition they can find to save money.

I have taken two moose. On one, I used Barnes X older style bullets. It died with one shot. The other, I used Swift A-Frame bullets. It died with one shot. I have kiled four elk. One was taken with a compound bow; the others with rifle. All three were taken using older style Barnes X bullets. I haven't tried the new triple shock bullets, but friends who have think they are superb.

If you intend to reload for elk or moose, I suggest that you use good bullets that will hold together and do damage the whole way through the animal and will break large bones like the humerus. Here are a few photos of bullets that did the job.
In the first photo, all bullets were shot from my .300 Weatherby.

this photo shows a 139 grain Hornady interbond bullet removed from a Dall Ram. Rifle was a Ruger 7mm rem mag.
When you book a hunt with certain outfitters they will even tell you in bold letters PREMIUM BULLETS! Nice to know we have guys on this site that have all this experience and knowledge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts