The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't trapped coons since I was a kid 30+ yrs. ago but I always really liked it. So, I figured that since I spend the last 2 wks. of Fall Turkey Season at our camp in Potter Co. I'd run a doz. coon traps. I have a 1/2doz. Victor 1 1/2 dbl. coils and will be getting a 1/2 doz. DP's. We seem to have a pretty good population of coons on our property, and all my sets will be land sets. Mostly around our corn feilds and along our logging roads. I know what bait and lure I want to try in my cubbies, but have know idea what to use with the DP's. I know alot of guys like marshmallows and gummy bears, but what is a good lure to go with them. And does the lure go in the DP? or on a stick near it? Sorry it's been a long time and I never used a DP. I've also read about "Truck Load Coon Bait" is that worth giving a try in the DP's? Sorry for sounding dumb, but it's been a long time since I trapped. And after seeing all of you guys pics. and posts it's really given me the itch to have a little fun this fall. Any help would be awesome, Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
547 Posts
just put the marshmallow down in then put some fish oil in the dp with it. never hurts to squirt out a little scent trail with the fish oil also. any kind of sweet scent in with the marshmallow will work. good luck. its going to be a long summer for you!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MCM, thanks for the advice. as a kid I mostly used Hawbakers coon lure, but I never even heard of a DP back then. I'm pretty excited about doing this and it should bring back alot great memories, should be a fun two weeks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i trap everything, but coon are by far my favorite. I remember going to potter with my dad around the cherry springs area to trap coons. there are some big boys up there. we also got alot of gray fox in our coon sets to.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A gray fox would be a two beer bonus, that's for sure!! We see qwite a few grays but I will only be after coons. I see alot big dark coons around our corn fields.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I used fish oil in the dp this year and all it did was give a coon the lubricant it needed to pull out of the trap. Use it under the marshmallow not on top and don't put much

·
Registered
120 Posts
NoMojo said:
I used fish oil in the dp this year and all it did was give a coon the lubricant it needed to pull out of the trap. Use it under the marshmallow not on top and don't put much
Add a t-bar spring into your chain and it will stop them from pulling out. had this problem two years ago with my duke dp. I put springs in and I didn't have any pull outs this year.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
NoMojo said:
That's a good point on the oil giving lubrication to pull out..

·
Premium Member
24,077 Posts
Put a big marshmellow behind the trigger and fill the rest with sardines or mackeral.

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
I used Dp's for the first time this year and all I did was put a marshmallow under the trigger then a couple pieces of canned mackeral in the tube and squirted fish oil to the left and right side leading to the trap.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had my best year ever on coon this year with a new bait I started using late last season. Very simple, and works wonders in DP's. Ended up with 51 coons running about a dozen traps before work for a few weeks.

Get some cans of the cheapest jack mackeral you can find. Usually about $0.98 at WalMart. Then get the cheapest bag of dry fish flavored cat food you can find (Friskies is pretty cheap).

Mash up the jack mackeral and all of the liquid/grease/goo that's in the can in a clean jar (I use the plastic mayonnaise jars because they are more durable than glass rolling around in the pack basket or back of the truck). Add a good shot of fish oil and enough dry cat food to add some consistency back to the mix. The dry cat food will actually dissolve over time and make this more into a paste type of bait.

Put a blob under the trigger, spear a large marshmallow on the trigger (for grip) and a blob on top of the marshmallow.

Return in the morning and collect your coons.

Oh, and go ahead and set multiple traps on each location. Started doing that this year and ended up with 9 doubles and 2 triples.....

I am also a fan of the Duke DP's. Had no issues with them at all and you can't beat the price as far as DP's go....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Never really use any coon lure or fish oil at all. I take jack mackerel and drain all the juice out of the can then mash it all up and add in a few drops of liquid smoke. Never really use marshmallows in my dp's either unless there's cats around. If i dont use jack mack i use a big chunk of carp or trout packed tight under the trigger. i dont get to trap too much either, just thanksgiving break and christmas break. this past thanksgiving break caught 19 coon the first night out with all dp's using jack mack and liquid smoke, or trout

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys!!! I think it will be a fun 2 weeks!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts