The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad uses some of my traps to just trap around the house with. All of my traps have a copper tag with my ID number stamped on them, so I told him to get some tags made with his own ID number.
Is it legal to have two different ID numbers on a trap?
If we are trapping as a partnership would we both be permitted to check the traps individually? As a partnership we both "own" the traps.
As long as both our names are on the trap I think we should be within the law because at least one "owner" is checking everyday.

The Regulations say:
5) set a trap not marked with a durable identification
tag attached to either the trap or chain showing the first and last name and address of
the trapper, or a number issued by the Game Commission;

Tending Traps: Traps must be visited by the owner once every
36 hours, and each animal removed or released.

It says the "owner" not "owners" must tend the traps.
It does not specify that there can only be one owner per trap.
I'm not trying to fly under the radar or find a loophole, but how do trapping partners legally trap together? I'm sure we're not the only pair doing this.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
ive seen traps with dual tags before. and honestly, whats the odds of you having someone check your tag. if anything maybe an anti, another trapper or a non target catch of someones dog.

I dont care what they say, i put my full name, CITY and state and drivers license number. Putting your full address on a tag is flat out dumb, its a good way to get some anti slashing your tires. 20-30 years ago no problem but now almost all celebrities are against fur and most of these people who are fans have become brain washed.

do you really want some idiot coming to your house, mad you are trapping. i dont! that could get ugly real fast.

put both tags on it and ride em out, my guess is you wont have any problems.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
IF you are partners there may be two tags on a trap, however, if there is a violation with that trap, both are liable.

·
Registered
556 Posts
John S said:
IF you are partners there may be two tags on a trap, however, if there is a violation with that trap, both are liable.
Has that changed redently? I know I was told by a wco that you can only have one tag but that tag can have more than one name or trapper id number on it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think you can give written permission to your dad to check any trap with your name or ID number on it if I remember correctly. I was hoping john S would give us some input on it.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll forgo all of that by just having him get a trapper ID number and I'll put two IDs on each trap. Got the form in the mialbox right now. I just don't know why that never dawned on me before.
I always thought it was the sole owner and only the owner that could check the traps for any reason at all.
Two tags solves my troubles.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
My daughter and I are trapping partners. I had both our ID numbers put on a single tag. It's been six years so I don't remember for sure but I probably checked with the PGC before doing that.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Mackenzie said:
Is it true that you can put your CID number on the trap tag and that is all you need?
i do believe that is so, but you might wanna put a name on it. what if you catch someones dog and they have no clue how to get him out of a trap

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As of right now, it is NOT legal to put your CID number on your trap tags. However, you can apply to the PGC for a trapper's ID number, which is legal.

jlh42581, I don't want ANYONE other than a WCO to have access to my address. If I get someone's dog in a trap, and they are dumb enough not to figure out how to push down a couple levers, I certainly don't want them showing up at my house. Good way to end up with a bunch of broken windows, or worse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts