The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's try this again. My browser has crashed several times as I've tried to enter my story here.

I took advantage of the overnight rain to go to a stream that I've done very well on following a good rain.

I parked my car and walked down to a familiar starting point. My first cast produced a 10 1/2 inch wild brown trout. Many consider a trout on the first cast to be bad luck, but I simply think of it as a good start!

Nonetheless, the action seemed a little slow given the good conditions. The were several places where I almost always catch trout that produced nothing this time. Chances are, a spinner fisher had visited the area recently.

I reached the vicinity of my car in a little over two hours and had caught 23 wild browns.

I drove to a section that I hadn't fished in a while. As I waded in, a deer crossing the stream interrupted the proceedings.

Again, the action seemed slow, given the conditions. I worked through the area quickly, and reached a tributary in an hour. I only caught 5 browns in that hour, including this 13 incher.

I moved up the tributary, but saw fresh boot tracks, so I only fished it for about 15 minutes and landed one small brown.

I returned to the main stream and waded into the creek below a bridge. The action was non existent until I got about 75 yards upstream. After that the action was good and I caught 13 trout and missed several others. I would have liked to have kept going but I reached a posted section and had to get out of the creek.

A colorful 12 incher

I went to another section of the stream that has been the most consistent section for me over the last year or so. It's a little more secluded, which I think is the reason it fishes better.

True to form, the action was better there. The first hour there produced 14 wild browns and a surprise brook trout that must have been stocked illegally by someone. I haven't caught any trout species other than brown trout there in many years.

The next hour was even better, with 17 browns landed.

In hour three 21 more browns came to hand. At that point, I hadn't had many trout hit and get off, which is a bit unusual for that stream. But in the last part of hour three and the remaining 1/2 hour I fished after that, I put on a trout losing clinic. It seemed like every other trout would hit, clear the water 1-3 times and throw the hook. I caught 9 more trout in that time to finish the day with 104 trout in 8.25 hours. After my relatively slow action in the first section, I didn't expect to top 100.

I saw several deer while walking out, including a glimpse of my first fawn of the year. The doe snorted multiple times, so I knew she had a fawn close. I saw some movement in the grass and the signature while spots before it disappeared into the tall grass. Overall, I saw 11 or 12 deer that day, which is not at all unusual for that stream.

Fish America T- shirt (I have modest goals)

On Wednesday, I went to a freestone stream that I hadn't fished for a few years. I got off to a slow start. It took about 20 minutes for me to land this stocked brown that at first appeared to be a tiger trout.

The first hour only produced four trout; three small wild browns along with the first stocked brown.

Hour two resulted in five trout landed, four wild browns and a stocked brook trout. One of the wild browns was this colorful one.

A very nice brown followed my spinner in but didn't hit. Two browns in the 12-13 inch range hit, cleared the water and threw the spinner.

I thought about leaving but the appearance of the larger trout encouraged me to keep going. I've been in a big trout slump lately, so I wanted to see if one of the areas ahead would produce one.

I had a couple more mid-sized trout hit and get off in the next hour. I caught six trout during the hour; two wild brooks and four wild browns, including this 17 1/4 inch beauty, which broke my big trout drought.

That trout showed why large trout are such exceptional ambush predators. I flipped the spinner under an overhanging bush and an instant later, the brown appeared with my spinner in its mouth.

I kept moving upstream, and landed eight more trout in the next hour, six wild browns, one stocked brook trout, and this golden rainbow.

The action continued to improve and I landed 13 more trout in that hour (12 wild browns and 1 native brook). I wanted to keep fishing, but I had a meeting that I had near home so I had to leave. Unfortunately on the way home, the check engine light came on and I had to stop to get it checked out. It turned out to be minor, but I had to miss my meeting.

For the day, I caught 36 trout in 5 hours. I caught all of the trout on spinners except for 3 which hit a small plug. I also caught one smallmouth bass, which seemed a little out of place.

TT

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
How often are you sharpening your hooks thru each outing? They must be getting dull hitting rocks and trout lips.
nomad_archer said:
Wonderful pictures and story. I really enjoyed he deer crossing the stream, its not everyday you get to see something like that.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
That "Check Engine" light is my worst nightmare.

I have a "beep" and a warning light that come on pretty regularly with my SUV. It did it regularly when I first got my SUV and, like clockwork, has been doing it regularly since I got four new tires last week. It has to do with tire pressure.

Back when I had a Geo Tracker the "Check Engine" light came on early one morning as I drove to my fishing destination. I found it odd that my odometer had hit 50,000 miles at exactly the time it came on. Turned out it was programmed to come on at 50,000 miles for some kind of maintenance check-up. It didn't mention it in the book that came with the vehicle. I thought that was pretty low.

That's a couple good days of angling. Any day you fish a stream that I don't go to is a good day to me.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FrankTroutAngler said:
That "Check Engine" light is my worst nightmare.

I have a "beep" and a warning light that come on pretty regularly with my SUV. It did it regularly when I first got my SUV and, like clockwork, has been doing it regularly since I got four new tires last week. It has to do with tire pressure.

Back when I had a Geo Tracker the "Check Engine" light came on early one morning as I drove to my fishing destination. I found it odd that my odometer had hit 50,000 miles at exactly the time it came on. Turned out it was programmed to come on at 50,000 miles for some kind of maintenance check-up. It didn't mention it in the book that came with the vehicle. I thought that was pretty low.

That's a couple good days of angling. Any day you fish a stream that I don't go to is a good day to me.
When the oil was changed, the mechanic didn't attach something correctly. My regular mechanic fixed it in about two minutes.

Thanks, I was happy with my results. If I fished further on Wednesday, I'm confident that I would have surpassed 50 trout for the day and maybe even hit 60 or 70. It was very warm that day and it was a long hot walk back to the car.

I understand; you would rather NOT run into me on any stream.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I knew what you meant Frank, no explanation necessary.

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
Nice fish and story

1 - 12 of 12 Posts