The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to c if anyone here hunts off this road. I used to hunt up there every year but the deer disappeared. I would hunt nine miles back the road by the shape pits. Would love to here some recent stories from there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hunt that area sometimes and I think the deer numbers a still low. Alot more bear n yotes then there use to be. Other Hunter sitings are lower now too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a friend who has a cabin on Laurel Run rd before the shale pits. He killed a buck (small 7) the first week of archery and another friend killed a buck with a crossbow in the same area. I don't know if they see numbers of deer but they do see bear alot.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Without seeing it, I'd ask one question. How's the timbering on that forest? It's not unusual for forests not timbered in awhile, or rarely so, to have a small herd of deer. Isn't always due to hunters.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Haven't been there for awhile and have no intentions on going back.It's always had heavy pressure with easy access.Last time I was there a few years back there were a couple of new clearcuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have hunted turkeys near there but not deer. I have a friend that is in there a lot in turkey and archey season. I don't think he has seen many deer in that area lately. If you get a good map you'll see you can travel for miles and miles from Laurel Run (Chick's Bar) up and over towards Fowlers Hollow or even towards Shippensburg. There are literally miles of state land and I know there are some deer there. You could talk to some of the Forestry guys for additional info.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Every year I hunt that area several days, and have not seen a deer in that part of Tuscorara Forest for at least 3 years. I really like the Meadows road, but it has been closed this fall with a bridge out.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tim, I am familiar with the area you are inquiring about, but never hunted there. My brother however, has hunted deer off Laurel Run road, and he will tell you that the deer are few and far between. Beautiful area though, one of my favorites in the state!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I grew up near there but was fortunate enough to have private land to hunt for deer. I have hunted turkeys near there. I know some local guys hunt it in turkey and archery season. There's lots of public land in the area but I don't know anyone that hunts it in rifle season. My experience around Blain is that the numbers are still down but they are seeing and killing some nice buck.

·
Banned
629 Posts
Tim pa said:
Just wanted to c if anyone here hunts off this road. I used to hunt up there every year but the deer disappeared. I would hunt nine miles back the road by the shape pits. Would love to here some recent stories from there.
Not sure about the overall deer population but the hunter population in the Tuscarora State Forest is way down compared to what it used to be years ago.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I belong to a camp that sits in the middle of the state forest. I use to hunt there every year but not in the last 8 yrs tho. There are very few deer there. We mainly see bear and yotes. Our camp used to average 4-5 buck a year now out of 10 or so guys we are lucky to get 1. This year the only ones our guys got were in archery season. That was 1 real nice 8 point and i think the other was a small 6.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts