The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this turtle sprinting accross my driveway today. He is about 1.5 inches long. I am sure he just hatched. I am pretty sure what type of turtle it is but thought it might be fun to see what everybody thinks

Timber

·
Premium Member
24,075 Posts
Looks like a young snapping turtle

·
Administrator
28,376 Posts
Landlocked Ridley's Sea Turtle! There are only two of them left and they are very delicate. It is said that even just taking their picture will kill them.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One clue as to what type of turtle this is the four or five marks down the middle of its back. though not as pronounced when mature ....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My son and I catch up to 3 or 4 box turtles a year and put a mark on the shell to identify it. I have read were box turtle habitat is very limited so I must have just the right type of habitat for them to live. One thing that I did not know was that Box turtles will eat meat. We discovered this fact last year when we found a box turtle eating a dead gound hog.

timber

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cope,

Way to young to tell.... infact the bottom was still very soft. we just took the photo and released the little guy. yesterday I found a mature box turtle in the back yard. The 5th one this year

Timber

1 - 17 of 17 Posts