The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do two different plots in turnips, any guys have success with these. It will be in Bradford county.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Down here at the bottom of the state (Franklin CountY) they let the turnips til last, usually around mid Jan. thru Feb. til they start to work on them. May be different in your area, depends on what other food sources they have available.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
pahoytman said:
Down here at the bottom of the state (Franklin CountY) they let the turnips til last, usually around mid Jan. thru Feb. til they start to work on them. May be different in your area, depends on what other food sources they have available.
Yep, that pretty much says it.

In areas where there isn't much food for the herd, they will get destroyed early in the fall. Where there is plenty of food, they leave them go.

I would plant them for 2 years and see what you think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Planted some Andre&Sons (Montrose Pa) brassicas blend at my son's place near SGL 219 in Bradford County last year. Deer left them pretty much alone until after the first few frosts then they ate the greens and came back later for the turnip bulbs. It was a small plot, less than a 1/4 acre but it was picked clean by the end of January.

Be carefull this food plotting can become an obsession
Bob

·
Registered
802 Posts
last year on game lands in sullivan county, the bressicas and turnips where gone, i mean demolished, by the first friday of rifle season. it depends on how much other food is available before they hit the turnips. i just got some turnip seed today from andre and son and over seeded my clover plots with it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I plated about an acre and a third of Andre's Brassica Blend in four different plots yesterday. I left 1/2 of each plot open for oats in two weeks. We're getting rain today. I'm hoping they'll hit the oats for archery and leave the brassicas alone until gun season.

·
Registered
228 Posts
They like them at my place. There have been plots planted on land around mine before I started planting and I think the deer "know" what they are. I plant them in a mix (brassicas) and the deer are into the greens as soon as they start to get leafy, ie, full grown.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My deer love them and they eat them starting in October even when there is still plenty of corn and alfalfa around. Nobody has told my deer they are supposed to hit the other stuff first and then the brassicas after a few frosts. I've seen them pass up white oak acorns and head out to the brassica patches.

I'll be interested to see how the new 30 acres of corn next to our place changes things if at all. We've always had plenty of corn around so I doubt the deer will care.

·
Banned
617 Posts
Planted brasica and mixed in some turnips on a plot last year, I got them in late around the end of august and the only got to gold ball size. If you get them in within the next week or so they could mature to a larger size. I plan on planting a similar plot again this year, wanted to get it in last week but will probably be this weekend. Like stated above, they hit the turnips and brasica after the first frost when the plants become more palatable.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Just make sure ya'll get enough nitrogen on the turnips. 100-150 lbs per acre of 46-0-0 helps a good bit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dutch said:
Just make sure ya'll get enough nitrogen on the turnips. 100-150 lbs per acre of 46-0-0 helps a good bit.
I started my brassicas with 100lbs/acre of 19-19-19. When should I apply the nitrogen. Assuming, it's after germination, is it okay to do it with the quad and herd seeder, or do I have to tiptoe through the plot applying it by hand? Rookie questions... sorry

·
Registered
228 Posts
cj sudhop said:
Dutch said:
I started my brassicas with 100lbs/acre of 19-19-19. When should I apply the nitrogen. Assuming, it's after germination, is it okay to do it with the quad and herd seeder, or do I have to tiptoe through the plot applying it by hand? Rookie questions... sorry
cj,
If you find you need to add Urea, 46-0-0, I was told to do it before a drenching rain. The reason is to get the nitrogen rich pellets off the plants and to minimize nitrogen loss to the atmosphere. Last year I walked thru my plot and applied it with a hand operated broadcast spreader immediately B4 a rain and it seemed to work well. I've never driven through a growing plot so I don't know the impact of doing that.
Barney

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
CJ, doing it before a rain is good and yes, you could go thru with the Herd, you'll probably kill or stunt what you run over, but the rest will produce enough to make up.

I think you went a little lite on the 19-19-19. Probably closer to 300 lbs per acre would have been good, but adding some extra urea at this point will get you back on track.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Okay Thanks! I appreciate the help. Next time I'll hit it much heavier with the 19-19-19. In the meantime, I think I'll spread the 46-0-0 with the hand seeder.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Just try to do it before a rain and don't do it when there is dew on the leaves. Give it about a month after germination, and you'll be good.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm headed north this weekend to check on everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts