The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone ever tried using turnips in a redbeet pickling brine. i had alot of turnips and was pickling beets so i added turnips to the beets and vinegar and can hardly tell the difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
I planted a half acre turnips for the deer and they have done real well. I have been looking for ways to eat them. I have been shredding them and making slaw.Very good.Also cutiing them like french fries,coating with oil,saesoning, put on a cookie sheet at 425* until brown.Tasty.

Mike

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
I like to skin them, then cut into cubes and eat them raw with just a bit of salt on them. Salted turnips and draft ice cold beer, yummy!

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Yep,cubed up,cooked,and with good old brown butter on'em!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
I hate cooked turnips, but can eat the raw ones like apples. A sprinkle of salt is nice, but just so is fine with me.
For get the salt... just peel off the outer layer and I'll eat them like apples!

I have a buddy who will only eat them Raw...he is Exactly like my Dad was..

Dad grew up in the Depression...Dad ate many meals of mashed turnips with bacon grease added in...Dad HATED Cooked Turnips...But he LOVED Turnips straight out of the ground...
Something I remember is walking out from hunting and having to walk past the garden and pull a couple of turnips...Dad would pell them like apples, slice them and hand me a slice at a time...Best way to eat them!

My Buddy is not much older then I...his Mom and Dad grew up thru the Depression same as my mom and dad...My Buddy had to eat mashed turnips like my mom and dad had to eat...he has told me that they had boiled mashed turnips about 3 times aweek with thier meals....all he has to do is walk into the house and if someone is boiling a turnip, he is outside chucking!

He Surprised me this past August... he asked me to pick up some turnip seeds... I did a double take at him and he looked at me and said "What?"
I then said, you want to grow turnips, you the person who smells turnips boiling is outside chucking...he laughed and said "I never said I wouldn't eat them RAW!"

We got a nice little turnip patch going in the garden...some are as big if not bigger then softballs... I make a point every once in awhile when checking traps or out hunting to walk thru the garden and grab me a turnip or 2 to eat!

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Not too sure Turnips taste exactly the same but.... but I LOVE Rutabaga's!!!!! Growing up, we would call rutabaga's turnips, even though they are not..... but we would eat them either in a stew or just mashed up!!!! Very good!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts