The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the deer finally are eating my turnips. they ate out all the leafy brassicas in october and was wandering if they would ever touch the turnips, heard some people say they planted them and the deer never touched them. well at least all my work and $ was not a complete waste. now just have to try to shoot something coming to it. passed on one yesterdsay thought it was a spike that we have been seeing that might have lost its antlers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
deer hiting my turnips big time mostly at night seems a waste to plant them due to the fact they never hit them big time until very late dec. jan. in march i will have 30deer all day cleaning them up. not a good plot to hunt on unless its late season

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fordman99 I used i think shot plot by evolved harvest and also threw in some purple to turnips. some are bigger than softballs? late season is what i am looking at now until jan. 9Th so maybe i lucked out and planted the right thing since i was not lucky in any of the earlier seasons.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Turnips are planted more for the deer and less for hunting... Sometimes it takes until Jan or Feb for the deer to finally eat them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Turnips,the sugar or starch in the tops becomes sweeter after a freeze then the deer wiil eat them. That is what farmers tell me.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Turnips are planted more for the deer and less for hunting... Sometimes it takes until Jan or Feb for the deer to finally eat them.

Exactly

·
Registered
139 Posts
turnips would be a good plot to hunt over if there would be a good freeze in oct and nov. and the farmers would have all the crops harvested.

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
I hunted over a 3 acre turnip patch Saturday evening. Nothing. It's getting colder and colder, maybe this weekend the deer will show before dark.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
2 d bandit said:
turnips would be a good plot to hunt over if there would be a good freeze in oct and nov. and the farmers would have all the crops harvested.
I don't know how many times I've said this on here, but here goes again.

Brassica usage depends a great deal on available food and the number of deer in an area.

I have seen plots pretty much wiped out before the end of September, with no frost/freeze whatsoever, and I've seen plots go all but untouched into spring.

If a deer is hungry, he'll eat them no matter what time of year. If a deer has plenty of better stuff to eat, they'll ignore the brassicas.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I was speaking more about the bulbs and less about the leaves. My deer have always hammered the leaves after a HEAVY freeze, usually around late Nov to early Dec. The bulbs on the other hands are often ignored until Feb or even March and a couple years were never touched.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Mine are being dug up and eaten now.

What is fascinating is that the turkeys are even pecking at the bulbs!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Dutch said:
If a deer is hungry, he'll eat them no matter what time of year. If a deer has plenty of better stuff to eat, they'll ignore the brassicas.
Can you please tell my deer that Dutch, they must have not got the memo

My deer have acres and acres of alfalfa and corn on the neighbors properties and yet they pile into the brassicas starting right around Oct. Deer in different areas seem to react differently to brassicas and there is no way to know how they will react unless you plant them and see.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Genetic mutants? LOL

Alfalfa goes dormant, and corn is just too hard fer yer lazy deer to chew.

I'm sure there are deer in those corn fields that don't like the brand/variety of brassica you plant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts