The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted a turnip / rape mix this spring as a test to see if the deer in our area would eat them during the summer. The deer ate the rape to bare stems but they really didn't touch the turnips. I now have a field with baseball sized turnips. Will the deer come this fall/winter (preferable during archery season) to eat them or will the turnips rot before then. Should I disc and replant something else? Any thoughts from other food plotters that tried this?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned we have plenty for the deer to eat. 60a corn, 25a alfalfa-timothy-clover, 4a clover-chicory, 2a sorghum, 3a switchgrass, 1a oats. I guess Shady was the closest answer I was looking for, will the turnips rot and the plot become fallow for the fall/winter? I try to maximize the acres we have, so if I should replant I can. My plan was to leave about an acre of turnips stand, replant strips in the other two acres in winter rye and turnips/rape. For a learning experience, the deer murdured the rape in July around me leaving everything else alone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.