The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted a turnip / rape mix this spring as a test to see if the deer in our area would eat them during the summer. The deer ate the rape to bare stems but they really didn't touch the turnips. I now have a field with baseball sized turnips. Will the deer come this fall/winter (preferable during archery season) to eat them or will the turnips rot before then. Should I disc and replant something else? Any thoughts from other food plotters that tried this?

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
They eat them after everything else is eaten, usually January or February. If you want to come during season, plant corn or alfalfa.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
the bulbs may rot before the first freeze which is when the deer tear up the turnips. I would spray, disk, and seed the blend again right now for a fall crop.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
The best time to plant brassicas is in fall.As an experiment I planted rape in spring and the deer hardly touched it till it went to seed and then they wouldn't even look at it..As for tunips once frost hits them the leaves become sweeter and the deer start nailing them.
As a rule of thumb in our area the deer hit the rape,then turnip leaves and into winter the bulbs.
For this year I suggest tilling and planting rye and/or oats.
If you do make sure it's rye grain and not rye grass.You can plant it starting about the last week of August.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned we have plenty for the deer to eat. 60a corn, 25a alfalfa-timothy-clover, 4a clover-chicory, 2a sorghum, 3a switchgrass, 1a oats. I guess Shady was the closest answer I was looking for, will the turnips rot and the plot become fallow for the fall/winter? I try to maximize the acres we have, so if I should replant I can. My plan was to leave about an acre of turnips stand, replant strips in the other two acres in winter rye and turnips/rape. For a learning experience, the deer murdured the rape in July around me leaving everything else alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts