The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I plan to turnips in a food plots that was about a quarter of an acre. They did pretty well. The deer pretty much left it alone until mid to late October. Then they were in there every day. They ate all the leaves to the ground in a matter of a week or two. I was talking to a buddy who has a farm. He said certain plants and weeds are bitter to animals, and then they develop a sweetness and they will be desirable to the animals. I’m thinking this is what happened to the turnips, but I’m not sure. Is there anything specific that triggers this?

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
In the fall colder temps and longer nights cause the starches in the plant to turn to sugar. Deer usually won't touch turnip greens until after the first frost. The bulbs they generally won't bother with until winter, and has been my experience that some times may not even bother with the bulbs. But they always seem interested in the autumn greens.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I have grown turnips for years and that is the same way for people, not much of a taste until after a frost, then they are very tasty.Sounds like you might need to enlarge your plot.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts