The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the turn around times for the various companies that make custom Encore barrels...One might want to take this into consideration.... wow especially if you plan on using the barrel for a chance of a life time hunt...That barrel just might not be there when you depart...Some of the turn around times are way to long!!!!!!!!!

T/C custom shop took 12 weeks in 2006...Does anyone know if this is the norm for them or has the leadtime increased on Custom barrels since?

One thing for sure make sure you do all the ordering yourself...Do Not Go Through A Gun Store...I ended up waiting 24 months because the employee who was suppose to do the order quit or got fired...I think he wanted to pay the store back at my expense..
How about having to wait......24 months for a barrel...However I complained and the store did give it to me for free...they wanted to only give me a 10 % discount.I told them that that was not good enough since I lost 12 weeks....They were nice enough to give me the barrel for free...

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Just received my custom barrel from T/C last week------They said it would take 12-14 weeks and it came in 12.5 weeks.
A little long but I was in no rush(at this time of the year).I cannot wait to fire it once my scope comes in!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I like the MGM barrels. You can call them and talk to the guy who is making your barrel. I like that. The TC custom shop is a little to impersonal to me. The guys at MGM do what they say they are going to do. I have bought three barrels from them. And I am getting ready to buy another one. It will be an MGM.

I have also bought a good bit of stuff from EABCO. And I like their service as well. The lady you talk to when you call them is very nice and polite. And she also does what she says she is going to do. And you can talk to the fellow who owns the place also, if you need to. I like that. Tom.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The barrel that took 24 months came from T/C custom shop.
However it was not T/C fault that I did not get the barrel in 12 weeks it was the store's.
An 17 Rem CF with a 26 inch bull barrel... The nice thing it's real accurate with factory and all of my reloads...So much so it's very hard to pick the powder that works the best...They all shoot under 1 inch with both 20 grainers and 25 grainers...
I like that T/C turn around time is still 12 weeks.. Are they closing their custom shop now that S & W took over?

I do like the Encore rings and mounts that EABCO sale. Also the Muller scopes too..Great for shooting fox and coyotes at night..Muller 3 X 9 40 MM Red Dot...

I might like to try the MGM company down the road..heard so many things..

Now did you ever notice? Midway sales 35 Rem for example. It appears that they carry special Encore calibers on the shelf? Their catalog does not say that there is a waiting period. Um who knows maybe when you order a barrel they might say...Oh by the way there is a 12 week period for a 35 Rem Encore barrel...If you have the Midway catalog take a look at all the Encore calibers they list...

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just ordered a 28" ph barrel from EABCO. I ordered it on wensday mornin and got it friday. However, it was a ph barrel in .30-06. EABCO has a fantastic line of everything for encores, ruger #1, and the 97d riflemans gun they produce. EABCO also carries some barrels that they make. From what i gather there is no wait on those. They are custom twists to boot!

·
Registered
889 Posts
You are right about EABCO. And they are nice people to do business with. The lady that answers the phone is very friendly.

I really like their 6.5 BRM barrel. I think it would be a dandy. I think it is the perfect mix, and I prefer the rimmed cartridges for the Encore. I may have to get one of those. Tom.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was glancing through my EABCO catalog and the tc custom barrels also have a 12-16 week wait as well. I would try a EABCO custom barrel if they have the caliber you are looking for. If you do, let me know how it shoots!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep it all just matters who you order from and what time of yr it is. Currently MGM told me 8-12 weeks, but others such as SSK have said 6months to a Yr.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
So it seems MGM and SSK have similiar or longer waiting times than T/C's custom shop----------Some people on here state the turnaround times are much less????

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
DCabets28 said:
So it seems MGM and SSK have similiar or longer waiting times than T/C's custom shop----------Some people on here state the turnaround times are much less????

Dave
It all depends on the time of yr and how many orders they have in Dave. Your best bet is to make a 2min phone call and let them quote you. I would say from my past and present expierences that MGM is the fastest hands down.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
BR
I understand BUT when I said it was a 12 week waiting time at T/C people said that was TOO long to wait being MGM and others had smaller turnarounds

Dave

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One custom barrel mfg estimates on their web link that it will take about 16 weeks approx.
They fail to say on their web link that they only work on custom accuracy barrels when they get 100 orders.. So they only do barrel work when 100 people order custom barrels..Now what really hurts you here is the economy is so bad that you don't get 100 people per month ordering custom barrels..web link states 16 weeks approx. How about maybe 24 weeks?
Remember when you order ask them if they wait until they get a lot of 100 orders before they start..
Sad thing is the poor souls who order a barrel thinking they are going to take it on a hunt of a lifetime. Only to find out that the approx date slipped..

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You guys think thats bad try ordering an OTT barrel. Last time i called 1yr plus.
Shellie left MGM and while the replacement is nice enough It takes time to learn a job and when you have to stop the boss it takes time from them.

Fred at bullberry does amazing barrels but has a long lead time

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also the main thing is when you get that custom barrel..If it shoots good groups then all that waiting is not that bad..Besides that now water over the dam.. However if you wait that long and then the barrel is not so good...Now that would be bad..Plus the long wait also adds even more of a bitter taste in your mouth..
Todate...Factory, Custom, Accuracy barrels I have ordered all shot great.

What is that saying: "Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!"

·
Registered
155 Posts
MGM delivered right when they said they would. Was much faster then I expected. A pleasure to deal with. My recommendation is to talk to the guy who will be doing the work and discuss all open questions. If you order a caliber they only see twice a year it might be worth sending a dummy round so they can work to your specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts