The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to see my butcher today. I casually said "Its a great morning for turkey hunting!". He lifted his right hand which had a transparent glove, but I could see white underneath. He pulled off his glove and showed me his gauze covered hand. He told me that he had shot a large gobbler on Tuesday. He threw it over hsi shoulder and started walking toward his truck. All of the sudden the turkey sprang to life! It was beating him with its wings, pecking him on the head and back, and had somehow sunk one of its spurs through his hand. He kept fighting the turkey, twisting its neck as well as he could with only one hand. He said the battle lasted 15 to 20 minutes. Well, with stitches in his hand and back he is back to work. Tough working with knives when you have a bad hand. So make sure your bird is deceased like Monty Pyton's parrot before you start celebrating the hunt!!!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Lol, sometimes those birds don't know when their dead.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
They are vicious
And nutritious
Not to mention delicious
And my fondest wish is
To have turkey on my dishes.

I just made that up! No kidding!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
The last bird I shot dropped in his tracks and never so much as lifted a wing (at first). I put all my calls away in it's respective pockets (which can easily take 10 minutes) walked over to the bird and pulled out my tag then a pen which always takes forever to find. This whole time the bird never budged. I filled out the tag and grabbed his legs and it was like he miraculously came alive... flapping his wings with vengeance. It took everything I had to keep a hold of his legs as I'm trying to get a foot on his head, which was a bad idea anyway cause when I did he whacked me in the nuts with his wing!! Guess he got one last laugh.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
jimsdad said:
They are vicious
And nutritious
Not to mention delicious
And my fondest wish is
To have turkey on my dishes.

I just made that up! No kidding!!
How clever! Jimsdad is a poet and didn't even.....

Acknowledge It!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
The first bird I ever shot was a violent flopper. So I figured I'd stand on his head to make him expire quicker. Wrong move. As his wings smacked my thigh I knew the blows were more than love taps. Next day, may entire thigh was black and blue and it felt like my leg got ran over by a truck.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
Maybe we should be checking for a pulse and using a stethoscope before we give them a piggy back ride.

In all seriousness, every time I have flung one over my shoulder it was always in the back of my mind that the thing might not be dead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts