The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if you look at the 'Redneck Taxidermy' thread posted in here, you'll see my problem. Im looking for someone who does turkey mounts and can help me out. This is my first bird and means alot to me.

Anyone near the NEPA area who can send me PMs,pics,prices and can offer me any help would be greatly appreciated. I will travel a little bit for good work.

Thanks to everyone!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
If you are serious about this turkey, I have some recommendations within 1 hour-1.5 hours from you.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely serious, took me a long time to get this and I worked incredibly hard for it.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Delaware & Hudson in Matamoras does nice turkeys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would find it difficult to believe that you were unhappy with something Frank did and he didnt make it right. Did you say anything to him?

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
aguita said:
I would find it difficult to believe that you were unhappy with something Frank did and he didnt make it right. Did you say anything to him?
Honestly, no. My fault. I had to actually glue the fur down in places where it began to stick up and the form simply didn't fit the hide properly. The ears were lopsided as well. I realize canines can be tough sometimes but I expected better. Once again however my fault for not addressing my observations at the time.
I've seen some of his fish and they all appeared top notch.
My previous taxidermist stopped stuffing. I have three bucks, a bear, a coyote, a turkey in full strut and a snowshoe hare in my game room as well as the grey fox. I'm going to get a red fox done next.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Not alot of taxidermists can do a good fox mount, or they just don't like doing them. However I have seen some fine foxes done for competitions by PA taxidermists, so it's not like you can't find someone who likes doing them and knows how to do them. They are one of my personal favorites, along with coyotes ( and wolves). I trap foxes, so I get to study them.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I know this is off topic (from the original topic) but since you guys are on the topic...Fox, yote, and bob cats are the hardest mounts to make look real. Atleast from pics I have seen on here or the limited mounts in real life I have seen. The fox always looks too happy, yotes snouts are always too puffy, and bobs look like they are stretched too much.

However, when I took my buck to the taxi he had a shoulder mount of a yote and it looked pretty nice. I never saw a shoulder mount of one befor and thought it was pretty awesome. If I ever shoot one I will take it to him for the shoulder job

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Vitro near Middletown, NY does awesome turkeys IMHO..he had one guy on his crew that specailizes in birds only.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts