The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,041 Posts
Honestly, I have a hard enough time getting one with a shotgun. I can't even imagine getting one with my compound unless I was in a blind or a tree stand.
If my turkey hunting skills ever improve or if I ever get two tags and I am lucky enough to fill one, I may try to take one with my bow.
Probably will never hunt turkeys from a blind regardless. There is just something about blinds that don't appeal to me.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
John i tried last year with no blind and went birdless and will try again this year. That was only hunting on Saturdays and this year i plan on taking a few days off to hunt during the week. I think having a strutting gobbler decoy to hold their attention would help. The biggest problem i had last year was trying to get comfortable and hidden while shooting from my knee's. I need to buy a portable stool that swivels.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I did manage to get one with my bow without a blind. It was later in the season and everything was rather green. I set myself up in a pile of blowdowns and set a hen decoy about 20 yards above me so the tom had to walk past and present a quartering away shot.
It was one of the rare times that a plan actually came together the way it was supposed to. Tried a few more seasons but went home empty. I am now back to the shotgun.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It's hard to do. I have tried a couple times without a blind, got busted each time. It's hard enough to do with a blind. I probably won't try again, if you do try hope you have better luck that what i had.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
In Pennsylvania, even getting one by bow from a blind is a accomplishment. The birds don't fly down into the fields, strut for three hours and hang around the decoys for twenty minutes like they do on TV.

I have hunted outside of the blind a few times, worked a few birds but have never shot a bow bird outside of a blind.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have been fortunate in that I have gotten 2 gobblers with a compound bow. Both have been without the aid of a blind and I was by myself. I now use a blind. This season my daughter will join me in the blind for her first time hunting. She will be using her compound bow and I believe the blind will give an advantage to hide most of her movements.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I got my first and only gobbler with my bow and without a blind. Trust me it was hard to do and mostly luck on my part as I was busted earlier in the morning. The skill was all on my hunting partner, set up behind me doing the calling. After being busted, the next opportunity, I drew back behind an obstuction and just inched out enough. I set up my GT with high let off and was able to hold a full draw for prob 2-3 mins for the shot, without getting busted. I'm learning to use mouth call, which I think would be only way to do it and some type of cover to throw up in front, put a small hole to see through and draw from my knees then stand up. Don't know wether it will work and don't expect to be as lucky again, but I want to do it again with no help. I love deer hunting , but turkey's are something else.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. I am planning on using a blind for most of my hunting this spring, especially when I have my 5 year old son with me. But I have a couple days a week when I can get out after I drop the kids off at school, so I am going to go without a blind during those hunts. Either way I know it's going to be a lot of fun!

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
I did it once but the set up good and I got lucky because of that.You want to set up behind something,not in front of it like you do with a shotgun.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
iv'e shot a half dozen from treestands in the fall, and a couple from the ground in the spring. i always wait till the bird has passed and is walking away. when i'm on the ground, i call, then move 30 yds, and set up behind a big tree. if you don't move after you call, they come looking right where you're at, and that never works out. when they first come in they're looking for that hen, you cannot move. after a while they'll walk away or start feeding, and you can try to get drawn. most of the time you get pinned down & can't move, or they spook, or something goes wrong.

i tried a hen decoy, but the gobblers always seemed to hang up. mebey a gobbler decoy would be more effective?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've never done it, but there is a real interesting
article about it in the new "Bow and Arrow Hunting" magazine.
You should check it out. The dude calls it fanning.
Never heard of it before.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
A guy I used to shoot indoor dots with does it pretty regularly with his father. Their trick is for the shooter to move closer to the bird, but at a 90 degree angle to the path between the bird and the caller. Usually set up about 30 yards in front and 30 yards right or left. Beyond that, they wouldn't tell me any other secrets.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I think the strutting decoy would help alot, and i priced them at cabela's this past weekend and they wanted close to 150 bucks for some of them, i think i will stay with my old hen for now.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
that would work. the secret is NOT having the gobbler come right to the call cuz then you cannot move. a shooter in ambush in front of the caller, or a lone caller who moves right after calling. call one right to you and you are wasting your time & educating a bird. took me a while to unlearn shotgun tactics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts