The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a scope for turkey hunting im looking at either the Nikon Turkeypro or the Leupold VX-1. I wanna try to stay away from red dot scopes I will be mounting it on a 870 express super mag

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
Just curious why staying away from a red dot? I switched over from a regular scope years ago to a red dot and would never go back.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just dont want to have to bother with batteries and heard a lot of guys having trouble with red dots holding zero

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
A quality red dot type sight will not only hold its zero, but won't be too hard on batteries either. I have had everything from the cheapest Tasco to one the most expensive AimPoints and everything in between. I have never had one where the batteries didn't last at least a couple to three years and I change them out every two whether they need it or not so that is a non-iisue anyways. As far as scopes I would also look at the Bushnell Trophy Turkey scope. Great pice of glass for the money!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mightyjoeyoung did you find one red dot that was superior to another and i will check out the bushnell

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If you like a decent MICRO red dot, the Bushnell TRS-25 is a fantastic red dot sight and it usually sells for right around $100.00 and has about a 3,000 hour battery life. It's TINY and very accurate. I also have the Burris Fast Fire II. The III series is out now but they are the micro dot sight that MANY others are compared to. They'll run anywhere from $200.00 for the older model to about $300.00 for the new model and they are seriously a fantastic little sight. LOOONG battery life and self adjusting brightness so no "haloing".

·
Registered
18,580 Posts
I have two Aimpoint 9000SC red dot scopes, one on my Mossberg 835 and one on my Benelli SBE 2. They withstand the heaviest recoil and get 50,000hrs battery life. Only thing is the cost, almost $400 each.

I just recently purchased a Burris FastFire III reflex red dot sight for my daughter's 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug. I really like that as well. Costs around $230.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Callmaker60 said:
I have the Nikon Turkey Pro, it's a great scope.
x2 on that one. I ordered off ebay and sighted in. Shot a ton of shots with it after i sighted in and it hasnt lost its zero. i know what you mean about the battery thing. I have tru-glo gobble stoppers, although never having any issues with battery or 0, i just didnt like having to turn something on. Thats why I went with turkeypro. I had a tough time finding a decent price anywhere but ebay. Heres the seller i got mine from.. came within 2-3 days. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-TurkeyPro-...=item4160034344

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks turkeyboy17 ive been leaning towards the turkeypro bc of its eye releif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts