The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first year Turkey hunting, I see them all of the time, one question, can I pattern the turkey based on where I see them in the evening? I can't get out in the morning til opening day, however I have found several groups in the evenings, any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Sure thing. If you are seeing them within an hour of sunset they are roosting close to where you see them. Also Im assuming it's a field, they many times return to the same field in the morning that they were in right before dark. You can also try to get them to shock gobble for you in the evening right at dusk. Try an owl hoot or a gobble works well. Find the roost and slip in to 75-100yds of them the next morning. If they are a hundred yards or so back in the timber off the field, get between them and the field edge. If they are roosted very close to the field, go in extra early and dark and be cautious. Set out a couple dekes and settle into some cover or a blind at the field edge . Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great I was hoping that would be the case, I just spotted about 6 turkeys, and pretty sure 2 were nice toms, but i didn't want to get too close and spook them out, just wanted to note where they were, and pick up some tips thanks guys

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Wolf, It may require a couple trips out to "hone in" on the right spot. Let the birds do what they want, and don't get too anxious with the calling. Be observant. See/listen to what the hens are doing, and try to mimic their behavior. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, one more thing, I'm using a semi auto 12g model 2000 stoeger, wondering which of my shells would be best, I have a box of 1 3/8 Bb's and the one I am leaning toward is a box of 6 for heavy game. And is the gun legal, the way things are worded i am not sure being a semi auto oh and can I take a crossbow out? the rules are not clear on the pgc site, I am an adamant deer hunter archery and rifle, I have a good eye, but I have a feeling this is going to be different altogether and I can hardly wait lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Blits, yes they are in a field that was reclaimed last year, there is a depression in it that has filled with water and I think they are hitting it for that reason, also it is a steep sloped field, they can take off pretty easy there and swoop into trees down below,they left a row of roots and paper wood along the bottom of the grade which is halfway from where I think they roost to the water depression, I think I will use that as cover for the first few times out, thanks for the tips, I'm getting psyched, I misfired on a 14 point this year close to this area bad remington shells, I was heart broken. It is a hot zone for game, and few people realize it yet

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Pretty sure BB's are illegal for spring turkey. Don't think anything bigger than #4 shot is allowed. The #6's should be fine.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
You can use any bow or crossbow as well. Semi auto are fine but all guns need plugged to 3shots capacity (1 in chamber, 2 in the magazine.) #6 shot is a good all around choice. Take a few shots at home and make sure you have a good pattern centered where you aim. Adjustable sights are recommended. Know your max range. Don't stretch it
With a good load and choke and a good sight you should be good to 35-40yds. Hopefully you've done all this by now as its getting awful close . If not, definitely take a few shots and be sure that pattern is hitting where you want it. Aftermarket fiber optic sights will fix it in a pinch if it's not. And if you didn't already know, avoid taking body shots. Always aim for the head and neck. Best of luck to you and don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Also, try to find a mentor. An old grey bearded turkey man to take you on and teach you the ropes. It will help with the learning curve immensely. Im sure there are plenty near you. Probably a few on here from your area too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
just make sure you know your shooting at a turkey, seems like your confident that no one else will be in that area opening day however there could be guys who hunt it for turkey only every year and your just not aware of it. main thing I can say for a new turkey hunter is identify your target, not just a turkey, but a bearded turkey. also do not over call. a hung up gobbler is a frustrating thing for a new hunter as well. good luck you seem confident in your area. turkeys are tough, good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wanted to go out to the range today but too much going on, I am going tomorrow morning at 7 am, I'm going to give myself 10 shots starting at 20 yds and moving back and count what I got on the target, looking to find that sure thing range just so I know when i am "out there" on a shot I have hunted Pheasant with other people using their guns, but it was easy walking along waiting for something to jump

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
20 to 35 yards is kinda the ideal range for a turkey with a shotgun. some guys will tell you they drop them at 50 yards but i would never take a shot like that. just sounds stupid to me risking it and wounding an animal. 20 yards should be a "sure thing" however it's never a sure thing. i missed my 1st longbeard at 15 yards and he flew straight up and landed at 10 yards. he bit the dust then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts