The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Mossberg SSi-One today with a turkey barrel on it. It has a weaver base with no sights and a Mossberg Turkey Choke. It is overbored w/3.5" chamber like an 835 and uses the same choke. Give me some recommendations for optics and aftermarket chokes for this beast. It is a bit different if you have never seen one before.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I use the standard choke in my 870 SureShot, so I can't tell you anything about chokes. I used to have an 835, but it was hard to unload 3-1/2" shells from the magazine because they were too tight, and the slide seemed sloppy. I feel like the 870 is an upgrade, especially with the SureShot stock.

I use the Leupold 1-4x20 VX-1 scope. Love it. I normally keep it on 1-power, but if I need to go up to 4 to look at turkeys in a field, I can. Because of a cataract I see double in my right eye, so I can't use a bead or a red dot.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on this, and a lot of guys like either an Indian Creek or a Jelly Head choke throwing Magnum Blends. I inherited my Pap's 835, and when I'm ready to carry it again, I'll likely go with one of those two.

As much as I don't want to do it, I'll be putting a Burris Fastfire III on it. I'm an open sight guy, but the POI is about a foot high right at 40 yards. The FFIII is about as slim and efficient as you can find. This is an older 835, so YMMV with your newer gun.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm using a Sumtoy choke in my 835 I would have to get it out of the safe to tell you the constriction. I went to a mossberg 500 in a 20 gauge with a Sumtoy choke and a Simmons turkey scope about 5 years ago and haven't got the 835 out of the safe since.

I think I would look into the Burris FF 3 from the reading I have done on them they seem to have a big following compared to an actual turkey scope.

Like this morning I called a bird into a buddy in the pouring down rain and fog couldn't see much farther than 50 yards at times. Long story short the bird come into 20 yards two diffrent times and my buddy had a Nikon Turkey scope that was completely fogged up he couldn't get the reticle on the birds head either times. I think the FF3 would out perform on days like today.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Had an 835 and used a .670 Pure Gold choke with 3" or 3.5" Hevi 6 shot (gold hull). Sold the 835 but kept the choke for my 935.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I would just get a box of longbeard xr #6's and try the factory choke before dropping money on something that may not be necessary. As far as sights, I have tru glo tru point extreme adjustable sights on all my turkey guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts