The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a deep fried turkey at relatives Yesterday & it was outstanding!! They did one in the conventional oven & one deep fried. The deep fried turkey was far better. I'm all of a sudden in the market to buy one.

Looking at the Bayou Classic line 32 qt stainless steel along with some others.

Anyone have one plus whut do you have?

Any input much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Loggy, the Weber smoky mountain does a great job on a turkey . Brine first .

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huntered said:
Loggy,I use mine mostly to steam seafood in,works great for that too.

Exactly whut I'm thing Huntered. A 32 qt ss pot would nicely serve 2 purposes.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finn Anthony said:
Loggy, the Weber smoky mountain does a great job on a turkey . Brine first .
Finn...havent tried the Smokey yet on birds but plan too. I was amazed Yesterday how an 18 lb turkey was done in a lil over an hour via deep frying. I was always a lil skeptical bout doing one that way...but no longer.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the input. Thinkin of going with this Bayou Classic 32 qt stainless model(below). I have a Classic Bayou 2-burner propane stove at my fishing camp at Chincoteague, VA I use for steaming crabs, clams etc & am impressed with its quality. Their stuff is very heavy duty. Gobble, Gobble!

·
Registered
20 Posts
You'll love the deep fryer. I've done countless turkeys in mine, I have found they come out best like this.....
Inject them with whatever you want.
Keep oil at 360 degrees, 3 minutes 15 seconds per pound. I have never done one larger than 14 lbs. My family requests these at Thanksgiving now, not roasted turkey. Gives me a good excuse to stand outside for an hour and drink a beer or three and smoke a cigar too.

I just received an oil less fryer for Xmas. Still in the box have not tried it yet. Probably this weekend. Got some pheasants I may christen it with this weekend.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks CockBird!!

My Classic Bayou was delivered today. Man ...one serious heavy duty build for sure!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Allow me to report in on my oil-less fryer, used it last night for the first time. 3 pheasants, one beef roast. I will be roasting my next batch of birds in the oven as I used to, the roast was ok. At this time, I would pick my good ole oil fryer over this. It was easy cleanup, but I wish I had done the pheasants in oil, or the oven.

Enjoy the new fryer Loggy!! Cook anything in it yet?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CockBird said:
Allow me to report in on my oil-less fryer, used it last night for the first time. 3 pheasants, one beef roast. I will be roasting my next batch of birds in the oven as I used to, the roast was ok. At this time, I would pick my good ole oil fryer over this. It was easy cleanup, but I wish I had done the pheasants in oil, or the oven.

Enjoy the new fryer Loggy!! Cook anything in it yet?
Thanks CockBird. Havent tried it yet. Will post-up when i do my first turkey.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't know what I ever did before i got a turkey fryer. I've used mine for canning, blanching corn, making soup & maple syrup, seafood, heck, I've even deep fried a few turkeys in it. I have 2 pots, one for frying in oil, and one for every thing else. You'll love it!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I use mine for Turkeys and seafood, when we cook shrimp we just load the shrimp into the basket and hang it on the inside hanger of the pot. Add about 1 1/2 can of beer with some seasoning and steam them, MMMMMMmmmmmm.
Usually in the fall a bunch of us get together and deep fry a turkey along with about 10 doz of wings.
It is also a good pot if you make your own beer. Something better than the oven to boil the hops and ingredients.

·
Registered
336 Posts
We use one all the time at camp, especially during work weekends and bear camp when we have a lot of guys. We make fries, wings, chickens, and turkeys. Last year at bear camp we mixed up some batter and started deep frying pickles, candy bars, and anything else we could think of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts