The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for new decoys.
I've looked at a bunch online, and I'm looking for ones that will work for the run-and-gun.
Zink's definitely look great as well as the DSD's, but expensive and bulky.
They recommend inflating the Zink's before you go out.
I want to jam them in my vest and go.
I cover many miles in spring gobbler.
I was looking at the blow up ones, but would rather not go with them.
Any thoughts? Any brands out there not in Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain?

·
Registered
940 Posts
I had feather flex ones forever and I think they work fine. I can honestly say in the gobblers I have killed I have never used a decoy. Everytime I set them up things just don't work out.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I carry a DSD Hen and a Dakota Jake with no problem in my back vest. Or killer b and DSD hen fits right inside of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i like to run and gun also without the weight of decoys, so i've been using the transfan that i got off of wing supply for 5 bucks. can't really comment on how effective it is yet as i haven't killed a bird over it. i rarely use dekes but it's nice to have along in case i do.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I carry 2 inflated Avians in a nylon bag and don't find it too difficult to move around with them. I used Buckwing Bobble heads before that which are relatively easy to fold and put in vest or carry unfolded. If you're carrying a decoy outside your vest, be sure to carry them it in a clsoed bag or drape something orange around it so some idiot doesn't see the moving decoy head and mistake it, and you, for a real turkey.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
For true run and gun travel weight just take a gobbler tail fan and attach it to an old arrow shaft with a couple tie wraps. You would be surprised how effective that can be. If you really think you need the full body dekes try the carry lite rubber . They stow easily and realism isn't bad. I usually custom paint mine though. Unless you hunt fields alot you probably do not need decoys to kill a gobbler . Run and gun they just slow you down most of the time.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I will be using 2 DSDs and a B-mobile when field and or bow hunting. I bought and used a Montana hen decoy and had some luck when using it when running and gunnin. It folds up nice and small and is light weight.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've had success with the El Cheapo foam and inflatables in the past but this season I'll have an Avian X hen and jake in my arsenal.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
I like the foam ones because they are easy to set up and take down, but I'm not sure the turkies like them all that much.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
just take a gobbler tail fan and attach it to an old arrow shaft with a couple tie wraps.
I might have to try this, cept I'll use an old goose decoy stake.
Do you have any other details for the setup? Do you set it up behind a bush or can you just set it out in an open field?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used the Zinks jake and hen last year. Opening day I set up two new hunters in the corner of a field. I got two gobblers to come out to the edge. As soon as they saw that jake decoy they went crazy! Ran right up to it and tried to fight it. I called the shot and they both scored;)

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
For run and gun..thus covering a lot of territory. You need decoys that one can set up quickly, those that fold into a vest then open up without adjustment of wrinkles and stakes.

I have a cheap set that fist that criteria. I use them for run n gun, but I have to replace them every 3-4 years...wear n tear. I also set them out in the sun a few days before the season for them to straighten out; however, that sometimes bring turkeys into the yard which sometimes peck at the decoy heads.
I have a fancier set I received as a gift which I often use on a short walk field setups with success.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts