The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never seen this before and quite frankly if I didnt see the photo, I wouldn't believe it. Friend of mine was hunting today and shot this gobbler. He went up to where he shot and the gobbler is standing there in the condition you see. An obvious head shot, but this was bizarre. The only thing I can think of is complete shock. Anyone ever hear of this?

Attachments

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A pellet probably hit a part of the brain or the spine that prevented the bird from moving and paralyzed it, alive but unable to move. I never saw that either but that is the only explanation I can think of.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I watched my grandmother chop the heads off chickens as a kid and saw several of them walk with their heads chopped off, no blood as the chop must have pinched the vessels off. they tasted the same as the others.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had this happen once during spring gobbler.
37yd shot, no brush or other obstructions, I ran up and he was standing there like a statue, multiple bleeding hits in head/neck

This was the first gobbler after switching to the 20ga and Federal HVWT #7 shot, I had been a "hard sell" to change from lead #4 shot and wasn't impressed at all.

Called Federal, they had me send that box back to them, they replaced it with 2 boxes and never had a problem since then with any HVWT shells, it flat out stones them and I am sold on it and also TSS for killing turkeys.

weird stuff happens when you hunt

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I doubt it, we have seen turkeys after they are fatally shot, they flop around on the ground as soon as they hit it. I think the explanation is that the bird was and could not move like a quadriplegia who had a spinal cord injury.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had that happen one time in 37 years of turkey hunting. It was really strange...the bird just stood there like in the photo, but he was stone-cold dead. When I nudged him with a foot, he just fell over.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've had that happen one time in 37 years of turkey hunting. It was really strange...the bird just stood there like in the photo, but he was stone-cold dead. When I nudged him with a foot, he just fell over.

Another expensive decoy gone down the drain! >:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts