The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm posting to get some ideas flowing about picking up some diaphrams. I used the primos long hook (red) last couple years but I feel like I'm losing confidence even though it served me well there for a couple seasons. Any ideas come to mind for a easy to use relatively cheap diaphram? Also I read an article about "Jake yelps" does anyone have a call they use for these sounds? I know there's not a golden ticket and it seems like you just need what you find works for you but I'm looking for ideas and to talk turkey hunting. Thanks

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get ahold of the guys from Bangin' the Boss game calls right here in Millville, Pa.
I met up with them at their shop the other night to go over some new calls in their lineup and they really have it together. They have high quality equipment and a passion for making turkey sounding calls.
Their new batwing cut 3 reed is simply fantastic......and I've tried dozens and dozens of other manufacturers.
Perfect yelps, sharp cutts and clucks. I can gargle purr and do-wit better on this call than any other I've tried for soft talk, but what I'm really excited about is being able to do a near perfect "feeding call" as Scott Ellis calls it. Not that it's needed to kill birds, but it's fun to be able to finally do it with consistency.

They have a website and a Facebook page. I think their special now is 3 diaphragms for $16 shipped. Very reasonably priced.
Excellent friction calls and strikers as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
fall gobbler said it right. With that being said, try Woodhaven Custom Calls and/or TruTone Custom Calls. Either should have a diaphragm that works for you. Both have a website, althrough Woodhaven is available at most big box stores now. TruTone is always at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, good dudes. .

No links allowed

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I tried a few Hooks calls last year as well and they were very good. The executioner was my favorite. I think their calls were all priced at $5.95 each which is again the cheaper end of what you'll pay.
Gooserbat ICE was nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts