The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Looks like they are 170 grain? Did you go to a lighter insert of do they shoot alright with that much FOC?

They should leave a heck of a slice thru a bird. LOL.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like they are 170 grain? Did you go to a lighter insert of do they shoot alright with that much FOC?

They should leave a heck of a slice thru a bird. LOL.
Yea they're 170, cspot. I've built three different arrows to test. I haven't calculated the FOC yet. I'm thinking the heavier arrow 515 gr. may be the way to go, but won't know until I try them. I'm looking at 20 yards and in. It should knock the snot out of them. Was hoping someone here had experience with them.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Never tried them and always just use a MX3 Muzzy for turkey. I guess for two reasons I just have a lot of them and because I don't use a blind for turkey I tend to miss more than I kill and a Muzzy seems to take a miss well. The last gobbler I killed with a muzzy ripped a six inch hole in him and he never moved.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Never tried them and always just use a MX3 Muzzy for turkey. I guess for two reasons I just have a lot of them and because I don't use a blind for turkey I tend to miss more than I kill and a Muzzy seems to take a miss well. The last gobbler I killed with a muzzy ripped a six inch hole in him and he never moved.

DANG Bone!!! You anchored him!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I luv fixed and hate mechanicals.
I made the switch in 2016 and haven't looked back. If I was still shooting a compound I'd still be shooting fixed blade heads (except for turkey). I prefer the wider cut of the mechanicals on gobblers, and I try to keep the arrow in the bird which seems to work better with mechanicals too.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
I think your thought process is right on and those aughta smack the tar out of a bird...and the 3" cut will help hit more vital/spine. It's a tiny target and if you miss, it can be a wild turkey chase....2/3 I've shot with a bow have been a chase...the 3rd, I apparently hit the magic spot. He flipped back onto his back and never flopped or kicked. Over 40 more walked by and never batted an eye. I was just shocked.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Trying a new broadhead this year...NAP FOC 3” cut, 2-blade-expandable specifically designed for turkey's. Anyone ever used them?
Have always used montex 125 gr G5,s for turkeys or deer with great success.... with a compound or crossbow.

Scott

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
20 feet maybe. He marched right up full strut and spittin’ & shakin’ The whole time.
It was only about a 2 minute show. As soon as I showed him the fan he walked right in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts