The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
A jake is probabaly about the only for sure Turkey that can be aged very accurately.
It gets alot harder after that. A 2 year old will generally have 1/2 to 7/8 spurs but that varies and is definitely not a true indicator to age.
Anything bigger than that is truly just an educated speculation of age.

·
Super Moderator
13,514 Posts
I usually saw the harvested gobbler's leg off near the bottom then count the rings on the inside of the stub.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Jakes are easy to identify with beards 7” or less and spurs just being nubs.

2 year olds are next with beards anywhere from 8-11” and spurs generally in the 3/4”-1” range.

After that, it’s a crap shoot. Beard length won’t really gauge anything (the heavier the beard, the older). Spurs ranging from 1 1/8”-1 3/8” and you’re probably looking at a 3 year old. Anything over 1 1/2” and he’s an old bird.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Gobbler age is not necessarily a science. Jakes are obvious but beyond that it can be difficult. Now, generally but not always, a 2 YO will have rounded spurs 5/8" to 3/4". Beard length doesn't matter much. Where you really have to be careful is assigning spur length to age. I still remember a sidebar re:turkey age I saw in a turkey magazine years ago. Back when MO was trapping and transferring they tagged a fall jake and released him in another county. At that time, you had to bring all bagged turkeys to a check station. Well, that gobbler was killed later and checked in. At the check station he had a 9 1/8" beard, weighed 19# and had 1 1/8" spurs. Per his leg band he was 9 years old. So moral of the story: jakes are obvious, 2 YOs are pretty much obvious but not always, beyond that they're just mature adults.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
We get it, you shot a banded turkey. I've done the same, so have a lot of other people. Why not combine all of your threads and we can pat you on the back in one thread.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Have said this for years. A lot like a bucks antlers, spurs don’t tell the whole truth when it comes to age. Hunted a bird for three years that had one white tail feather. He got shot by neighbor and had a 9 inch beard and barely 3/4 inch spurs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts