The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
go with the widest boat you can find. i have a sea ark outlaw 1884 and i can run about 30mph with a 45 hp 2 stroke jet. I found mine on the harrisburg craigslist but it was purchased at duckys boats in middletown originally. the only negative report i have heard about tunnel hulls is cavitation in rough water.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm not sure about the term tunnel boats,but
I have owned 2 penn yans that feature a tunnel drive system.
meaning the hull is tunneled, half enclosing a prop powered by an inboard marine engine.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I had a 14ft prop tunnel Jon n could run pretty shallow with the motor up. But not as shallow as a jet which is what I have now. A cupped prop will get u the best performace but you can do ok with a regular prop by setting the outboard up with a jack plate to get a nice mix of speed and shallow water capabilities. Mine would go as fast as I care to go with a 30hp tiller outboard lol.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've owned a couple from small 15'aluminum boats w/25hp w a 2" tunnell to bigger bay boats running 150's with 9-10" tunnels that run half the lenght of the hull. Depends on use. a couple of things to consider........add a jack plate to optimize motor height. If running shallow a lot consider an auxilary water pick up as you boat itself will push a lot of water away from the pickup ports. If buying an aluminum boat under 20' the tunnel will do you no harm at all but be there if you decide it is advantageous. Big glass boats a litte bumpier and slide a bit more in fast turns. PM me if you have more specific concerns, Hope this helps

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm running an G3 1860 CCJ jet tunnel now. I have had both kinds of outboad jet boats, tunneled and non-tunneled. Jets work amazing with the correct tunnel. A jet tunnel is small. I will never own a non-tunneled jet again, so many advantages. No issues.

I have not owned a prop tunnel, but just allow you to run little shallower. Prop tunnels are much larger and carry alot of the issues that guys complain about. if you try to put a jet on a prop tunnel boat. But evey boat is different.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw some other posts on Cavitation. With the correct tunnel and Jet setup, you get far LESS Cavitation. Tunnels feed water to the Jet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
PaTrophyMan said:
I'm running an G3 1860 CCJ jet tunnel now. I have had both kinds of outboad jet boats, tunneled and non-tunneled. Jets work amazing with the correct tunnel. A jet tunnel is small. I will never own a non-tunneled jet again, so many advantages. No issues.

I have not owned a prop tunnel, but just allow you to run little shallower. Prop tunnels are much larger and carry alot of the issues that guys complain about. if you try to put a jet on a prop tunnel boat. But evey boat is different.
Does the jet foot stick below the boat with a jet tunnel, if so, how much hangs below the boat ?

·
Registered
148 Posts
With a correct motor/tunnel set up. None at all, even trimmed down the whole way. I say correct because i have seen improperly designed tunnels that had to have the jet foot partially exposed below the bottom in order to get water to the jet. when i trim mine up to reach Top MPH, the bottom of the jet foot is 2" above the bottom of the boat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts