The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently signed on to run a charter boat out of Ocean City, Maryland. Another friend called to let me know the tuna bite was on (I had been monitoring temperature shots, etc). He told me to get down there ASAP. The stars aligned and we got down there Thursday night late. We slept on the 61 foot White Lightning and were underway to the water (about 75 miles between the Washington and Norfolk Canyons) by 4 am.

Long story short, we absolutely murdered the tuna. Our first bite came within a half hour or so of getting the baits out. We got covered up by 8 yellowfins to 50 lbs. We caught all 8. After that it was pretty consistent bites all day. We killed 17 and released 15 more. Also released a white marlin, killed 4 gaffer dolphins (mahi mahi) and had a blue marlin come up and eat a tuna we had on the line - that was something to see but happened way too fast for pictures or video.

This is probably the best offshore tuna bite I have ever fished, despite being a bit bumpy from the wind. Managed a couple photos:

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
You timed that one right! Thats crazy you were able to box 8 yellowfins out of 8 on the first hit. That had to be insane. The last tuna charter I was on we had 5 on at one time and that was chaos.

Congrats on the great eats!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts