The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best location to find these trees? Do they grow in certain areas and conditions more than others?

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
I've got them all over my property. They're very easy to recognize in the winter. They keep the tulips all year around. The bark varies a lot on them.

I've heard you may as well be burning pine in your woodtove if you burn it. I stay clear. I have enough oak and ash around.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
River hills along the Allegheny are full of tulip trees. Brittle limbs!!!!

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
My guess is that you are asking in order to run into a batch of Morel's That said, and seeins how you are in Fayette, you should do more searching for the numerous Elms that have dutch Elm disease. GOLD MINE.

As far as rendering Poplar to firewood. Not worth the time. Burns quickly and provides very little BTU's.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
My former in-laws had them all over their property in Northern VA. The soil was very poor and mostly grew nothing but boulders and something that tried to be a lawn. These particular trees were very tall, had extremely straight trunks and had a habit of snapping off close to the top in relatively mild winds. The leaves were a mess in the fall. I think the lumber can be used as interior support structures in furniture making.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
We had lots of them on the Paint Borough Sportsmen's Club property. I say had because we just sold off out timber to pay for the rifle range expansion we are currently doing. They can be found throughout Somerset and Cambria County.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts