The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 season was mighty short. Went to my spot last night before dark and there were 2 longbeards strutting around in the field with about 10 hens. I watched them go in the woods and knew where they were headed to roost. They gobbled one time on the roost last night so I knew exactly where they were. I got set up about 60 yards from them this morning. There were 3 birds gobbling and I could see several other birds in the tree tops. I probably heard over 100 gobbles this morning. As it got lighter I could see one of the longbeards on a limb only 60 yards away. I gave one very soft series of tree yelps. All 3 birds gobbled. I decided not to make another sound until they were on the ground. The first bird to fly down was a hen and she landed almost directly under one of the longbeards. I knew it wouldn't be long before the rest of them came down so I got my gun to my shoulder. Shortly after that the longbeard I was watching pitched off the limb coming right at me. He landed just on the other side of a large oak tree about 20 yards away. I clicked off the safety and waited for him to come out from behind the tree. Luckily I didn't have to wait long. He stepped out and I let him have it at about 25 yards. He was dead not more than 15 seconds after he flew down. The beard was 9 inches and the spurs were 1 1/8. It was cool for it to work out like it did but I'm honestly glad it doesn't happen that quickly very often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts