The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you would like to try Morel mushrooms. Pa Wegmans sale Morel's that are dehydrated at a reasonible price...You soak them in warm water for about 1/2 hour and then you can use them in any mushroom dish...
Make some scrambled eggs, Try this Christmas morning...Something to look forward to if you can't get the real thing in the woods.....Morel mushroom with eggs...

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I dehydrated them once and rehydrated them on low with cream and a little butter. Man was that good. Saw a chef do it on the food channel. He just used cream. I added the butter.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They Wegmans also have other dehydrated mushrooms too. Oyster, Lobster, of course Morel's, Chanterelle, and even a bag with a mix of all of the above....
Kind of safe for the nonshroomer too...they won't end up howling at the moon if they ingest the Wegman blend...They will be hanging on a rack close to the real mushrooms....

They also got the real ones there too...Chanterelle....Oh about $19.00 a pound???????

·
Registered
36,758 Posts
If you have a Giant Food Store in your area, you can get some of the fresh mushrooms, same as Wegmans has, at much cheaper prices. They have; Shiitake, Maitake, Oyster, Enoki, Lion's Mane and others for $3.49 a pound. I believe Wegman's charges around $12.00 or $13.00 for the Maitake!

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Bearclaw...If you can find the fresh mushrooms at Giant market..Get them there since they are cheaper....

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
curiouscoyot said:
I swore I heard some food channel mention that Pa produces the largest volume of mushrooms in the US.
Yep they do and Southern Lancaster starting from Gap to the border has many a mushroom farm...You know it as you drive down the road too...
Kennett Square is truly a mushroom capitol in Pa. They have a big festival in late summer..Sep......

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in Giant market today and just happen to look down below the counter in produce..There they were: Dryed AKA Dehydrated Morel's and Chanterelles....$3.99 a package. Must have been about 40 Chanterelle or Morel mushroom in the package too...

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
i tried wild mushrooms one time.....i was awake for the next 48 hours, running for my life...lol

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
don't really have one, just being goofy. i love mushrooms and no i have never eaten any mind-altering ones.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
adudeuknow said:
don't really have one, just being goofy. i love mushrooms and no i have never eaten any mind-altering ones.
A few years back in SCPA...That happen, guy was on some of those Little Brown Mushrooms LBM. He was running around the farmers field naked at night time..

(Joking) people in work thought it was me...

Interesting stuff the LBM. Upper Class in Russia use to use the LBM all the time and they would save their liquid for the lower class... Don't really want to put on here what the liquid really is but that is how potent the LBM are.
So lets thank God that Wegmans and Giant do not sale the dried LBM's!!!!!!!!!!

By the way there are 1000s types of LBM's. Many will kill you so it just not worth messing with any LBM's.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Uncle Buck, I know of a Wegmans store in Fairview, Erie County, there are none locally (southwestern Pa) but the Giant store that you speak of, is this a Giant Eagle?

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
By the way there are 1000s types of LBM's. Many will kill you so it just not worth messing with any LBM's.
Buck, that's why I shy away from stumpies/honey's. Just not sure of em.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fleroo said:
Buck, that's why I shy away from stumpies/honey's. Just not sure of em.
Yep here is the one that could be mixed in with the Honey Fungus/Stumpies:

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may2003.html

If you did a spore print...Layed a 4 X 5 black construction paper on top of a piece of 8 X 10 printer paper...The Honey Fungus spore print would show white on the black portion of the spore test paper..If it was the Deadly Gerlina the white part of the test spore print would show brown spores.If you lay the honey fungus on top of black construction paper you should see a white spore print..Gerlina...would record the brown on the white paper..

Once you see the two together it easy to ID..However since there are hundreds of Honey/Sumpies on a stump. Someone could pick a few Deadly Gerlina intermingled with Honey/stumpies and you could end up poisoning yourself..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts