The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never hunted late season. i am trying to figure out what to look for in the way deer move this time of year. with out snow there predicable. with snow this is a pain trying to find them.

i know there are deer in the area that i am hunting. i would like to find them with out scouting the whole place. what are there habits when in the late season and in the snow?

i have 500 acres all to my self. i don't know anybody that has a flintlock. let alone a bow.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Are there any corn fields there? If there are corn fields hunt the edges of them. I try and find where they are bedding down then hunt the trails in and out of that area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry i should have mentioned that there are no corn fields. the nearest farm is about 5 miles away.

i walked for three hours today. i saw tracks but none of them were fresh, they had a coating of snow.

on a side note i did see a yote. he was smart enough to stay out of range.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I always thought it was easier to find them with snow on the ground. Their little feet leave tracks telling you where they were and where they are bedding/feeding.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
i agree. this is the best time of year to see what deer are doing. deer are also very predicatable this time of year. everything is about food and bedding. get out in this fresh snow and follow tracks. hunt real slow and use your bino's. you will definetly see what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
South facing slopes, if evergreen trees are there, even better. This is where they will bed. They will head towards thickets with browse or mast crops (farm fields, oak flats, beech trees, etc.) this should give some starting points.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RayRay said:
South facing slopes, if evergreen trees are there, even better. This is where they will bed. They will head towards thickets with browse or mast crops (farm fields, oak flats, beech trees, etc.) this should give some starting points.
ok i "think" i have a starting point. that's a long walk in the morning, but it might be worth it. i only walked the 200 acres in the front today.

put a foot of snow on the ground and it makes for some really long walks. this is the first year i wish i had a set of snow shoes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BradleyRas said:
Deer are like women....when you think you finally have them figured out they throw you for a loop...
got that right

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
BradleyRas said:
Deer are like women....when you think you finally have them figured out they throw you for a loop...
Couldn't have said it better myself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts