The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lady I work with has a papered Redbone coonhound female that is soley a pet to her. She is interested in breeding her. My co-worker is a non-hunter, but not in any way an Anit-hunter. She asked me if I had any contacts for someone with a stud dog. I am not a hound man myself, but figured someone on here might be able to steer me where to look or may themselves be able to help out. She is located near Slippery Rock, Pa.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would strongly recommend that you do all you can to convince this woman not to breed this gyp. Most hunting dogs out there are not of breeding quality and a pet hound is certainly not breeding material. The only reason to make this cross would be $$ which is not a good enough reason for a litter. Sorry to be blunt and sound harsh but there are too many crosses being made with dogs which don't possess the qualities required for a hopefully good cross. A cross should be made with the hope and intention of bettering the breed.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We don't need more coonhounds, we need better coonhounds[in respects to hunting]... breeding pets is not the way to go..If hunters get em and they don't work out, then they wind up culled, become trade dogs, etc... Advise her against it... I'm totally with CasB on this one...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Wayne Valentino said:
We don't need more coonhounds, we need better coonhounds[in respects to hunting]... breeding pets is not the way to go..If hunters get em and they don't work out, then they wind up culled, become trade dogs, etc... Advise her against it... I'm totally with CasB on this one...
X2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts