The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to hunting and want to do it all. But waterfowl is on the top of the list can anyone point me in the direction to get started? Any advice would be appreciated. Not looking for spots just general information on where I would start to get into hunting waterfowl.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Lake galena's loaded with wudderfowl. Don't even need any decoys there either. High brass 6shot lead or a .22 mag and you'll have your limit in no time.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm sure they're busting your balls!

I'll give you your first bit of advice. Coming to the hpa waterfowl forum & asking for help locating spots is like going to your buddy's girlfriend's house & asking her for a lap dance! In other words it is HIGHLY frowned upon & your buddy is less likely to give you the quality whipping these guys will give you!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yeah new to the forums too just read on another forum guys ripping another guy for a similar question. Rookie mistake by no means do I want anyone's spots. Just looking for general advice about getting into hunting around 5c and 5d. I don't come from a family of hunters. And it's hard to get into just googling stuff. At least deer I can just go in game lands and try to learn on the fly with time in. Again rookie mistake on my part guys

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Put a few miles on your car and scout around bucks county....you have the delware river....or local lakes.....most corn fields in upper montgromery&bucks are rapp up by locals....but this time of the year is not good....you want to do this earlier in the year....spots sre locked up now...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I'm not looking to get out and do any hunting this late. Just trying to get general info on getting into hunting. And a starting point. Just doing all the homework I can right now. I save all the useful advice I get on here so I can keep it and use to become a successful hunter. I don't want to be "that guy" and step on fellow hunters toes with rookie mistakes. I plan on putting alot of miles on my truck this off season using things I picked up on google and tips from guys on here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you are in Philadelphia your best bet is to head to DE or NJ.

A. those places are closer and more productive

&

B. Bucks County folks like Philadelphians like the Taliban likes America, might be tough going for you.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Hey Rigg, I tried some of those black duck decoys when they first came out. They worked almost as good as Wonder Bread but then everyone started using them and their magic wore off.
So it was time for a Change. I imagine they'll soon be a collectors item.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bucksgobbler any kind of hunting being from Philadelphia is tough. I'm trying not to get discouraged. Thanks for any useful advice those of you gave instead of busting my balls. It's appreciated.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My advice: quit before you start. It's an expensive and highly addictive pasttime surely to put a strain on your wallet and your relationships.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Shoot me a pm & I'll give you some ideas on how to get started. I'm not from that area, so I know nothing about specific spots, but I'll give you some pointers on how to get started.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Being close to NJ you should check out all the pubic land there. Tons and tons of acres for public hunting and good abudance of fowl there.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
hunter4095 said:
Truth is, where you are NJ is a far better option than PA.
Much better hunting,less hunters, and Sundays.
You are so right except, still no Waterfowl hunting on Sundays in NJ.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts