The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had such great success with wearing snow camo in the treestand that I've painted some of my older stands white this year to trial. I can usually pick a treestand out from quite some distance in the open woods. Curious to see what these will look like once up in the air. This stand's going up next week on private property for bear season. I'll take a picture once it's hung as well.

·
Registered
15,806 Posts
I paint mine olive drab, with a couple tan splashes, makes them nearly invisible. I also have a couple light grey ones, cus I hunt some beech trees. I also paint my ladders and straps, those are usually black and stick out like a sore thumb. Black straps are usually the first thing I see when I spot someone else's stand.

But your idea of white stands might work just as well for game. Hopefully they won't be easier for thieves to see.

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
T you sold me on the white camouflage. Looking at getting some First Lite rain gear that has white in its pattern. Not quite ready to start spray painting my stands white though.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I don't think it will make any difference to the deer and will stand out to tree stand thieves.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I paint mine light gray with black/brown slashes. More so for being not visible to the 2 legged critters.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it’s up.

I think the snow camo idea in general is a good idea when hunting out of a tree. I have some camo in Scentlok’s Vertigo pattern which is similar and have been more comfortable with it up in the tree compared to most other patterns.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I'd love to see some photographs taken from the ground, when the leaves are off the trees, showing the differences between various camo patterns including snow camo, to see what it actually looks like with the sky in the background.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
They used to make a camo pattern called Skyline years ago. Very light color. I am always on the lookout for it at yard sales and such. Wish someone would start making it again.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Private property or not. Trespassers will be able to see your stand. My theory has always been out of sight out of mind.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me and old age aren't getting along. I'm trying to get this stand hung. I spent 4 hours yesterday, and 4 hours today, but it's still not hung yet. Now I'm sore, achy, and tired. Going to take a break for a few days and then try again later in the week. Got an entrance and exit trail hacked out. What used to take a couple of hours now takes all week. :(

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
My new personal lead for work just came in today . Immediately thought of you TBrom. First snow camo I ever owned. Lol
BFD9CB49-0247-4861-904B-D9C24155F66B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finally! After 3 days and about 12 hours later, I have the white stand hung. It was so difficult because of the size of the tree. I couldn't get my arms around it and none of my straps, ratchet straps, or safety harnesses would go around it. I had to cut a 4' piece of wire to feed around the tree so I could grab everything and pull it around to where I could reach it. My safety harness strap still won't fit so I've got a dog chain above the stand to hook into.

I'm liking the white even with all of the green foliage. It's almost disappearing where the sun's behind it. I think it will only get better with leaf drop and fall skies. It's 20' high and the picture was taken from the trail where I'm hoping to arrow the next PA state record bear (no joke). It's a unique stand because the stand itself is on private but the game trail is on public. Not sure if that would be a private property or a public property kill? Maybe where the animal is standing? Maybe where it dies?

Anyway, this is my white stand experiment and so far I'm liking what I see. Sorry, it took so long to get hung.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts