The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
never heard of any here, find an old boar and follow his trail, he would know if they are here or not.
they use pig's in germany to find them..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,748 Posts
Look it up on the net. I just read an article in the Sun-Gazzette about them and I believe it was chipmunks. It was in their Sunday Outoors section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
huntsmenbob said:
Look it up on the net. I just read an article in the Sun-Gazzette about them and I believe it was chipmunks. It was in their Sunday Outoors section.
I don't understand your message. What are trying to say?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
There are domestic truffles in the Pacific Northwest;Oregon and Washington State mostly. They are of decent quality for the price but the taste is night and day with the European product. Really no comparison. Every time I've used them I had to supplement with a high quality truffle oil to get the flavor I was looking for. Don't know about any in PA or at least nobody has ever tried to sell me any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,998 Posts
I just watched a special last night on dogs and one of the breeds were truffle hunting dogs they used in Itally. It said a record price was just set for a 3 lb truffle...$350,000.00 bucks. Nothing like paying over 100k a pound for fungus. I would think if we had something like that here you'd of heard about it by now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
Or not, from those that know about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,748 Posts
GrouseDogMan said:
huntsmenbob said:
Look it up on the net. I just read an article in the Sun-Gazzette about them and I believe it was chipmunks. It was in their Sunday Outoors section.


I don't understand your message. What are trying to say?
I believe it said that they are one of the favorite foods of the chipmunk and they dig them up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bearklr said:
I just watched a special last night on dogs and one of the breeds were truffle hunting dogs they used in Itally. It said a record price was just set for a 3 lb truffle...$350,000.00 bucks. Nothing like paying over 100k a pound for fungus. I would think if we had something like that here you'd of heard about it by now.
Those dogs are Lagato's. Something worth that much money is worth hunting for. Would any be willing to pay for PA truffles even if the quality is lower?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
That is what they are, a fungus that grows under ground instead of above ground.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top