The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for a set of tires for my F-150. Looking for ones that have a fairly aggressive tread and look to them but still are good on wet roads and such. Thanks!

·
Registered
682 Posts
National Tire / Battery has their version of the Cooper AT/3, its the Cooper RTX.

Very similar in design, I'm on my second set with the first one going 40,000+ miles and still 6/32" tread left. Too little for my wintertime comfort. Excellent wear and winter / summer traction.

NTB will have periodic sales on them, and you get get 4 on a full size truck for <$700 out the door with the right promotion.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Falken Wildpeak AT3w

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Tires

look at the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Ride nice on highway and great traction in any adverse condition. I went through two sets of them on my dodge ram that ate tires. I still got 40,000mi out of each set. I now have a Tundra and put Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Awesome looking tire and great in all adverse conditions. I've only ran them for about 1500mi so far so I can't comment on the mileage they will get.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Had a set of AT/3s on my last Silverado Z71 and liked them quite a bit.

Put a set of Hancook ATMs on my current Siverado, mostly because they were on sale and a bit cheaper than another set of AT3s, at the time. Also, know quite a few folks that liked their ATMs, so that's the deal for now.

Hancooks are a tad better on wet roads than the Coopers were, but both are far better than the OEM tires that came on either truck. Both are fairly quiet, considering how aggressive the tread is.

Did lose just a bit of fuel mileage with the Hancooks, over the junk Goodyears that came new on the truck. But the Goodyears were a "highway" tread and pretty much useless in deep snow or mud. They were also horrible on a wet road

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I plan to either put on Toyo R/T's or the Nitto Ridge Grappler's on my Tundra when the time comes this fall. The R/T's are snow rated, a hybrid between an A/T and an M/T. Lots of coin for both of them though.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
For the money,tread wear and traction,it's tough to beat General grabber AT's.I'm sure there are better tires out there but I've owned the coopers multiple times and would take the Generals any day over the Coopers.In my experience,the best all around all terrain truck tire would be BF Goodrich al terrain TA's.You pay for them though.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Bought a new '02 Chevy S-10 ZR2 that came with BFG T/A KOs on it.

After a few thousand miles, the truck developed a severe shake above 75 MPH. Dealer replaced one tire that had a heavy spot and could not be balanced. Had them put the new tire and the (unused) spare, on the rear axle and rotated tires each year.

Was fairly happy with them, until the left front literally exploded at about 70 MPH, nearly caused me to wreck and wrapped steel belts around the lower suspension arm. Had to hacksaw the belts apart to get the disintegrated KO off and put the spare on.

Forty-some thousand miles on that tire at the time. No desire to own another set of them since that happened in 2006. Suppose it's possible to get a bad tire now and then, regardless of brand or price?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had Firestone summer tires on one of my alalanches and never had any problem in snow up to the headlights..rode extremely quiet and went anywhere...the AT3's are nice also...hate it when they make road noise...really, how much time do we drive on roads that are not paved, truthfully not much..

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
This is a hard question to answer depending what you're looking for out of a tire. The vast majority of my driving is highway, with the exception of my deer hunting forays on muddy or icy logging roads or on muddy construction sites. I'm a die-hard Michelin guy. I like the LTX M&S tires for my kind of driving. My wife put a set of LTX AT's on her SUV. Too much tread for that vehicle but would be a nice truck tire if you want more traction. If you do off roading or drive through feet of snow, I'm not the guy who can give you advice. However, I've always got good life out of my Michelins and feel that they're worth the extra money you pay for them. I'd suggest checking out consumer reviews on www.tirerack.com.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm looking real hard at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Pretty sure they are what I'll go with after reading reviews.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I'm looking real hard at the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Pretty sure they are what I'll go with after reading reviews.
I have about 11K on mine; wearing very well but a little noisy compared to the Wildpeak HT they replaced.

BTW the HT were rated for 50K and delivered it and unlike the coopers before they were stull effective on wet roads to the end.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts