The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my new to me baby is sputtering all the sudden.
i have a feeling it sat most of last winter in the snow drifts. anyways the other day after i went to leave a destination i went to pull out and had no power, it sputtered, and i heard a knocking under the hood. i put it in neutral, revved the engine and put in gear and when i went, it really kicked in and took off no more problem. then a week later it did the same thing. got kid to school, went to pull out and it sputtered, knocking sound and then bam it took off. it has done this a few times since but neverconstant and if the gas is down when it comes back on, it takes off full power. seems to always happen from when i am pulling out, not up to speed. anyways i ran some seafoam thru last week. i thought maybe fuel filter but has one that you dont just replace on the line like im used to. anyone got any ideas what this could be? Its a dodge dakota 03.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Try cleaning the throttle body, and MAF sensor good.....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just cleaned the throttle body, well as best i could reach. it didnt seem like it was excessivly dirty but i wiped what i could. I know it has an evap hose leak somewhere, key word is somewhere. i replaced one hose that was cracked and it is still on so who knows where the next leak is. it starts right up every time and idles fine its when i try to accelerate from a stop when it acts up but not everytime. next i will look at the maf sensor

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
You may want to change the plugs and wires also..It is cheap and cannot hurt to have new wires and plugs..An engine stalling on pulling out on the highway can cause an accident..

·
Registered
653 Posts
really sounds like a vacumn leak somewhere. Vacumn hose is cheap. You might want to start at one side of the intake and redo the whole thing.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Is it throwing a code? Check engine light?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the main intake hose was cracked so i replace it a bit ago..code came back on. the codes read major and minor evap leaks. could be anywhere right? changed the plugs tonight, no problems. will drive again t row and see. where all could the evap leakes be from? U got to get a stupid emmission test this month so i gotta get that darn light off

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Electrical tape on the dash....placed directly over the light......may be a cheaper fix.......

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Have you tried ether. Sprayed on a vacuum leak causes engine to surge.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
What size motor? If it has a 4.7 V8? Major sludge issue.No matter what size engine I would do a compression check because of the knocking issue "Valve sticking? Then I would check your coil packs to see if one or more could be bad." breaking down when coil gets hot" may cause your miss.AutoZone can check them for you. I would change the fuel filter also

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i went out last night after a few at 11pm with the work light and found a cracked hose by the evap canister. it was cracked at both ports. so i put some tape on them for now, and reset the codes and so far so good. now to get a real hose and wait a few days to see

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the tape job failed, i got new hoses from the dealer for less than 10 bucks and low and behold the day i took it to the garage the light went off and passed emmissions and inspection. now that never happens! finally lady luck comes my way. check engine light on since I bought it! it has not stalled out yet but its still early. Im using it all weekend so time will tell. thanks to all for your opinions, its what makes this site great

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to pin point.But your on the right track!Check Engine Light leans towards vac.hoses,o2 sensor,egr.valve,sometimes a gas cap.Anything to do with emisson. I hope you solved your problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts