The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Question- when you buy brake pads and rotors do you typically buy Origianl equipment or after market parts? I have a 2010 toyota tundra that needs a brake job.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Aftermarket, mid grade or better pads, rotors go cheapest.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Alot of todays vehicles have front brake issues....usually ends up that the front brake pads are too small in size that results in overheating and warping the rotors.

Best I can tell you is google up 2010 Tundra brake problems and read.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I get original Toyota rotors, got 110K+ out of the first set, can't see getting close to that with aftermarket.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I Dont know about toyota parts,but i got a set of pads and rotors from the ford dealer,the parts were stamped made in china,the parts also cost 3times mores then the ones at the autoparts store,also the rotors warped within 2 months.JUNK.I should of saved some money and got the ones from autozone.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Go to Autozone or Advance auto and get the lifetime warranty pads not the cheapest ones...The rotors you can get there or Toyota Garage...

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Always put aftermarket pads and rotors on mine and my customers. Buy the better pads. Not many people cut rotors anymore, so buying the expensive ones really is a waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the comments so far...going to do some price shopping this weekend.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have an 01', the aftermarket "high grade" pads are fine, but go with factory rotors. When mine went thin at 100k, I tried Napa, Autozone, and advanced...they were all terrible, shook like heck. I bought factory ones online, and no more shaking.

Also a tip, if the hub diameter is the same as mine, nobody around can turn them except for a dealer, the hubs are too big for regular machines, and too small for big truck machines...but I would think they changed them after 9 years.

I've bought rotors for the explorer that were at the minimum spec new, and couldn't be turned, once again I went with factory, and all is good...thats if anyone bothers to check the spec before they turn them.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Aftermarket........get the cheap pads.....they are a lot softer than the ones with the warranty etc, and they are a lot easier on rotors....

It is a lot better to replace pads only a loiittle more often, than rotors every time the pads are bad.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts