The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I like the Ugly Stik GX2 7' med action with a Mitchell 308 Pro,which would run around $110.You can use 6 or 8 lb test and be good for all your fishing needs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I run either a pfluefer president and a ugly stick elite 5 foot or a pflueger president with a eagle claw featherlight 5 foot. The 1st will run you about 100 or so and the 2nd only 70.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
A scrub oak switch and a piece of thread from mamma's sewing kit.....(A 1930's metaphor that an old neighbor of mine would say when I was a kid when discussing fishing)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Cabela's Has their Whuppin' Stick Outift on sale right now for $24.00. They are regular $49.00. I just bought one online. They got a lot of good reviews. I figured it should be good enough for me.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you can spend $250 I would suggest a St Croix Avid 5'6" UL rod along with Pflueger President reel. That's the combo I use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, we could use for details. If you have room to cast I really like my crappie setup, 7 ft UL with BP crappie Max reel. I also have 5 ft UL setups for fishing creeks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I dont know what your budget is but I just upgraded from my ugly stick/shimano setup to a pflueger President special edition reel and fenwick hmx 5'6" UL rod for $133 and some change. It is a night and day difference between my old and new. I absolutely love the new combo.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like the pflueger president is the go to. It seems really nice. I'm also seeing good reviews of st croix. thoughts?

·
Registered
356 Posts
You can use the St. Croix TSS54ULF as a basis of what you would be looking for. If you want to swing the $110 +/- for it, go for it, you won't regret it.

As for reel, it doesn't really matter, stay with a manufacturer you trust but I HIGHLY recommend a reel with a 6:1 ratio for spin fishing so you can keep the spinners moving fast and fluent without snagging.

·
Registered
46 Posts
troutspinner said:
You can use the St. Croix TSS54ULF as a basis of what you would be looking for. If you want to swing the $110 +/- for it, go for it, you won't regret it.

As for reel, it doesn't really matter, stay with a manufacturer you trust but I HIGHLY recommend a reel with a 6:1 ratio for spin fishing so you can keep the spinners moving fast and fluent without snagging.
I could not agree more with you on the St Croix but for $10 more you can get the 5'-6 premier series and it is made in America. I have had mine for close to 30 years.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm a big believer in the Premier series of St. Croix rods. I have three of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,483 Posts
My local sg store has the pfluefer president combo I was looking at yesterday. Have to say the reel was extremely smooth and at $65, I thought it was a good deal. I am no huge trout fisher though.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I just bought two Pflueger President reels over the last month. I didn't know much about them. I just like the way it felt, smooth but solid. The first reel was the 25 model. I paired it with an Uglystik. I then went and got the smaller 20 sized reel and paired it with a cheap Shakespeare Micro lite from Walmart. I didn't know the reel was so popular. I see many on here also like the Pflueger President Series reels.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I bought two as well (was planning on only buying one - but the 2nd one jumped from shelf into my hand)

40 model - strung up with 30lb braid for weed choked bass ponds,

25 model - paired it up with UL rod - most likely for spinner tossing..

I am very satisfied with purchase - plus got a rebate of $10 on the 40 model...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Most people will suggest an ul but I don't agree with that school of thought. I had a medium light rapala that I loved until someone stepped on it. It also only cost me around $30. It had a sensitive tip so it was good for trout but heavy enough to handle much larger fish. I have a friend who is a stellar trout fisherman who uses a ten foot light action noodle rod. He only paid $20 for it. My only advice is that you don't have to stick to the norms or break the bank for a "trout rod'"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts