The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a disappointment. There was 5 trout caught between 4 of us. I can remember when you would limit out in 2 hours,when 8 was the limit. The banks used to be packed, now there's 30yds between guys. This is at a park where families can assess it easily. Buy a fishing license for 5 yrs., not worth it if you only trout fish. A desperate attempt by the fish comm. to sell licenses to fund projects. I have a feeling its gonna bite them down the road.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
No wonder they want to merge with the PGC. I drove past French Creek in Chester Country today and was shocked to see that that there were relatively few anglers. Maybe I hit it at a lull in the action but in years gone by the banks were crowded. Not today.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
did anyone fish in Michaux State Forest? I'd be interested in hearing reports from the stretch of Mountain creek below Laurel lake (excluding the bridge), as well as the conococheague below what used to be the Birch Run Resivour spillway to 233 (pumpstation). I fished both, only natives below the birch run spillway and saw one person (out of roughly 20) catch a stocked trout below the laurel lake spillway. I'd blame the cold water but every stringer was filled by the group of about 10 assorted anglers packed elblow to elbow by the bridge.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I got to agree with you wampire..The water was cold for any good action. Fished probably 5 miles of the conewago(sp) in adams county. Between me and buddy we caught 20. 99% from one hole.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I doubted it was the cold water either. But typically the faster water holds trout in small pockets adjacent to chutes and around large rocks. Either those stretches were skipped in stocking or the trout have not moved into faster water. Either way, I've never seen so many people strike out in a "stocked stretch".

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It has been very dry for the past few weeks. I think spotty stocking at roads and bridges combined with low water kept the fish all together in a few select spots.

·
Banned
2,336 Posts
Spotty stocking should be eliminated. I fished a stream today that held trout throughout the entire section, they must've float stocked it, very good distribution. I empathize with your tough day and suggest that you complain to the fish commission to get them to spread the fish out better next time, it actually worked for me, I bugged them really good about it too. 2 years ago they dumped the loads at upstream and downstream bridges, I wrote several emails complaining and I did have a witness that was there at the stocking, last year the fish were spread out better, this year it was obviously float stocked, maybe my complaints did some good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
We fished the Marsh creek in Adams county...We fished hard for 5 hours and hooked 4 landed 3 between 4 of us...Why do they make it a mystery as to were they stock....Is it getiing that bad that they want everybody at a bridge? On the upside we didnt see a single fishermen, kids seen lots of wildlife,watched there Grandpa land two very nice holdovers, and just a down right beautiful day...In the evening we went to the South Branch of the Codurus and i was fishing a hole with no action and a kid walked up with polarized shades on and said theres about 15 trout in front of me and proceeded to catch 5 of them.....lol..... i left with nothing.....Go figure.......lmao

·
Registered
335 Posts
My group of buddies fished a few of the local streams in northen Berks county and we did very well. We all do C&R and in 5 hours of fishing the five of us probably landed around 50 fish. One of the guys only caught two so that brought our average down considerably haha. I have no complaints about the stocking either. Everywhere I fished had a nice spread of fish from top to bottom.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Man everybody sounds like deer hunters! What happened to enjoying the great outdoors? Keep at it fellas, long warm days ahead!

·
Banned
979 Posts
Fished the Upper Jordan on opending morn with mixed results...It was elbow to elbow which I can't stand, so close that you have to alter your cast so you don't snag the guy next to you while casting...There a huge blow down trees that have created a natural dam with hinders any water flow thus creating still pools, the fish are there but they were very finicky...I left after 30 mins outta frustration from losing two lures, snagging three trees either above me or over hanging from opposite bank and snagging two guys while casting, not to mention the knots crated when realing in as everyone's lines go to the same spot...I caught 2 fish and got the Eff outta dodge, had enough, I felt like a human sardine, not my style, I like elbow room!

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
When the water is cold use smaller bait like red worms and leave it set on the bottom.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Fishing was horrible in Deep creek, Fish were all in one pool-water was very low. No fish distribution whatsoever. This stream is bizarre its float stocked but after a few weeks all the fish are in one hole. Thing is there was a guy and his three kids at that hole, plus me and my wife. No other fisherman seen all day. We did ok caught about 8 or 9 between us. first time my wife was out the first day, we has alot of fun and that's what counts. Can't blame mother nature for the low water, its been that way for a few years now. Fish are concentrated in a few spots and that's it. Unless we get alot of rain soon its gonna be a real short season again

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Took the kids out to the Middletown Resevoir. They each got 1/2 dozen only keeping those hooked bad. They had fun so that's what counts. Very surprised at the number of unregistered boats on the water. Also heard at least 4 or 5 people asking what the limit was?? When the fish cops came around they were pleasent and good with the kids. If you were the couple in the canoe sorry but you deserved to get busted. You had all your fish in one basket. You thought the limit was 6 each and multiple people told you that your fish needed separated. Yet you kept fishing for hours until you saw the fish cops then bolted for the boat "launch" trying to give your fish away as you went. I had to report it at that point . Hopefully they weren't to hard on you but you had lots of opportunities to correct things prior.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Hey stranger... Where you been Chester, haven't seen you on here in a long time?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Went from desk job to out in the field. So my computer time went poof. Actually haven't had a computer till recently when I "had "to get one for the kids for school.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I fished the Conococheague Creek and all I can say is "wow"... I'm not one to complain and this is merely an observation because I had an enjoyable time on the water and away from a hectic work schedule with good friends. The stretch that I started at had very few people, which should have been my first indication of things to come. There were maybe two buckets at most distributed over a 200 yard stretch of water and all of the fish were concentrated in 2 spots. Then the fish themselves were 8-9" on average. The largest trout I saw caught all day was pushing 11" on a good day. After an hour of fishing the stretch was completely void of people.

Around 9:30 I headed to another stretch where there was hardly anyone fishing again. Fortunately this stretch had fish well distrubuted throughout it, but the size was still unreal. I saw a lot of stringers with a few fish that I think a person would have had to measure to make sure that they made 7". By 11am, we decided to call it a day. I heard a lot of people saying that they would not be coming back here next year. I guess I'm going to get a lot more water to fish to myself next year!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
So i met a friend at the kids lake in boiling springs...i've never been there opening day. HOLY COW...lol you could walk across the lake on the boats. i've heard about it, but man once i saw it, unbelievable.

fished the breeches some, caught a sucker...thats it...but didn't really fish hard...was just enjoying the day.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
between 4 of us we caught 3 trout and a sucker. I got the best fish, 18 inch palomino which i released. Not many fish caught, but we had some laughs and made some good memories with the kids.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts