The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a nice sized trout on Saturday evening (21"). When I first caught it, my dad and friends said I should get it mounted. Instead of cleaning it, I put it in a food saver vacuum bag and froze it (it was in the freezer within an hour of being caught). After calling a few taxidermists today, I realized the price is a little higher than I initially expected, not to mention I already have a bear at the taxidermist from this year. My question is: would it be ok to unthaw the trout, fillet it, and eat it?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Take your measurements length and girth! A couple picture always helps too. You could always get a repo later. They are so much better than skin mounts anyways! I won't ever get a skin mounted fish again after seeing my taxi's repo fish!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used to save trout for a buddy of mine. He wanted them frozen with the guts in. He always cleaned his fish after thawing them out.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
When I used to keep fish, I never gutted them anyways...if you are good at fillets, you can take them without gutting the fish.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I learned not to use the food saver for fish to be mounted as it will leave little diamond shaped marks all over the skin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts