The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that this post does well or atleast gets some responses. The reason for the post is to identify "kid friendly" fishing spots. I remember when I was a kid my dad would take me and my brother to Tom's Run in Cooks Forest for the opening day of trout because there was a 12(years of age) and younger section. There was a pond and a decent amout of stream that was open to just kids. This was a great idea because the kids didn't have to compete with adults for fish, and also it was a family friendly atomsphere. (no cussing or boozing etc.)

I'd like to generate a list on this forum for all of us that have kids/grandkids/neighbor kids to use. Thanks!

#1. Tom's Run @ Cooks Forest

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
For the folks in fayette county there is a nice section of creek right below the breastwork at virgin run dam that is kids only until late june! Star junction fish and game club keeps it stocked heavy and there are always some dandy fish in there! Last yr i watched a 7 yr old little girl catch a huge palamino.Not sure exact size but it looked to be around 20 -24 inches.Should have seen the look on her face not to mention her dads!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I remember we used to have a sticky with the details of fishing derbys throughout the state at the top of the page. Wonder if we can do that again this year?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
The two kids sections on Kettle Creek in Potter are both very small stretches but my kids have had alot of fun at both over the past few years all the way thru the month of June at least.

First one is at Ole Bull State Park...right below the dam for the beach area...go right to top wire at the base of the dam and toss. They stack there like bricks, also some nice little areas thoughout, but we had our best luck there.

Down in Cross Fork the fish are spread out a bit more and it is better for the older youngster who like to wade and read water. Fun to watch the kids from the bridge while having some ice cream from Kinneys.

hmmm..I can;t wait for May. I miss ya camp. SO BAD!

Last year all the kids got hook-up after hook-up even in late June mid-day when the water was low, warm and clear. Smallest splitshot with a butterworm tossed up onto the dam and let it drift off. BAM....ENJOY IT WITH YOUR KIDS!!! Please remember the others with kids that will follow when you consider keeping them. Good lesson to teach early if you don't care too much for trout meat.

All released quickly for other kids to play with, hope yours were/will be some of them.
A great park for family camping. (Let me know if you go, free invite to all to bring the kids up to our camp on the hill to join us for a campfire, BB gun shooting , etc...if we are there that weekend )

I put in a work order to sticky this one BTW, list the kid sections and derbys here.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Clarks Creek, Dauphin County. They stock that kids area pretty much year round. I practically lived over there when I was a kid.

·
Registered
62 Posts
McKean County, Hazel Hurst, Marvin Creek plus pond. There is @ 1/4 stretch of creek plus a large pond that are loaded with trout for opening day. They stock @ 2200 fish in this area.

There is food available throughout the day and at 12:00 pm every kid that registers gets to choose a prize. In the 4 years that I have been taking my boys there, the first 3 kids received new bikes.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Lancaster County has a section just for kids on opening day. It's on Lititz Run in Lititz, Pa. Does get packed so get there early.

This topic has been made a sticky to stay at the top.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
keystoneMAN 85 said:
This topic has been made a sticky to stay at the top.
Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
No prob.

The one I mentioned in Lititz is not listed by the PFBC - it's stocked by a sportsmens group.

·
Registered
5,628 Posts

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
2 places on Freeman run in Potter County. 1 is a small bridge in Costello and the other is a small section of over stocked stream in Austin going just north outside of town.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
I wanted to take my boy to the Cross Fork kids only area this past weekend, but of course, it's not open until 4/18. So we had to settle for Rainbow Paradise fee fishing in Coudersport. Here he is with a nice tiger trout on.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts