The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I grew up hunting and fishing. Unfortunately I haven't really trout fished in since I was a child as such I don't remember the finer points. I have small children and in the summer I take them fishing at a family pond or our local sportsmans club and with their poles, bobbers, and worms they catch bluegill and bass (we catch and release mostly). I would like to take my kids trout fishing but don't know how to set up their rods for it to be succsesfull or what bait to use, where or when. We will be fishing our local sportsmans club pond that is stocked with trout, and the childrens section of Wolf Creek in Grove City. Not sure if you set up differently for ponds and creeks. I appreciate any advice you can give a dad that is trying to relearn trout fishing so I can teach it to my kids and they can have fun. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Set ups in the pond would be bobbers like you are used to using. Powerbait.wax worms, meal worms also work well. As for streams small split shot or if the water isnt fast bobbers again with the same baits. Cast up stream and let them drift down dont be to quick to reel in as they make the swing. A lot of times trout will hit on the bait as it swings around. Good luck and I hope they do well.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For pond fishing i'd be using a slip sinker setup. Also, the only bobber fishing i've ever seen on pa streams was on the erie tribs for steelhead.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Use 6-8 pound line.If they are stocked use powerbait pellets.Fish in the morning get there early.Go where the water is moving.Take them out to lunch,get some good food and ice cream,take a break.Ask them if they want to go back.Go back then. Bobbers would be good for kids.If you have extra rods let them use them. It'll give them extra chances of catching them.Take lots of pictures.Have fun.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they each have their own rods I will try and set them up as described depending on which one were fishing. It thank you for the tips so far. What size hooks are you guys using for trout? Thank you for any and all help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Typically when I bait fish for trout, I use a size 8 hook on 4-6lb line attached with a swivel. The size of the splitshot/weight I use depends on the waters depth and flow. As far as bait: powerbait, meal worms, wax worms and nightcrawlers are always good. However when fishing with the little ones less messy baits may be your best bet, like corn or potato bread.

Good luck & thanks for taking kids fishing!!

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
get some white or pink trout magnets to give a try, fish them with or without the foam bobbers trout magnet makes. fish some of the rods with bait and some with the magnets.

just casting out a trout magnet in a pond and slowly reeling it back just anough to keep it off the bottom should work well for stocked trout. or if the water isnt as deep a foam bobber will keep it up off the bottom. they also work very well for bass and panfish in ponds if you find you dont like them for trout fishing.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I use 6-10 size hooks. I like trout magnet its great.If you go to a fishing store they usually have a kit with a few lure like 5 or 6 with a few jig heads weighted maybe 2-3. Only 3 dollars.Would be good to use as said above. Use just enough weight to suspend it.Don't get it too heavy you won't feel it biting.Split shot. Have fun did you hear about the mentored youth trout opprutunity? Its a week before regular opener I believe and both kid and guardian can fish and keep some.

http://fishandboat.com/MentoredYouth.htm

You have to register before hand.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
appreciate the info guys, the mentored youth trout day looks awesome but it says 18 eastern counties. Do they do it in western PA as well? If off from work I would be interested in signing up my kids. I will definetly be using the info you guys are sharing to get my kids set up, I'm pretty sure I have to work the opener but after that weekend we will try and make it out as much as possible, thanks again and good luck to all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts