The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trout 2003’s Year End Trout Summery – 2021
I logged my first Journal entry on April 16th, 1994, about a year or 2 before I first saw the internet. A few years later in 2001 I began posting stories and for 21 years now I’ve been writing tales about my trout fishing adventures in the great state of Pennsylvania. For the most part I’ve used HuntingPA.com as a conduit and more recently social media has provided an outlet for my hobbies. I enjoy writing and describing some of the amazing things and places I get to visit in the pursuit of Brook, Brown, and Rainbow Trout. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. There’s a story in every outing…..you just have to find it!

Water Vertebrate Liquid Salmon-like fish Fish

On March 12th ,2021, I embarked on my 27th year chasing trout with spinners. Following my first outing of the season that day, I figured I’d do something different for a change and instead of spending time writing about every outing, I would focus on the effort of fishing and make the entire 2021 trout season my story. I didn’t have any grand goals to start, other than to maybe match my total from last year. Little did I know how the year would unfold and this is my story!

Water Fish Marine biology Fisherman Oncorhynchus

Last year was a tremendous year for me on the water. I set a personal best by catching 7,525 trout over 62 outings. This bested my previous season high of 3,654 that I posted back in 2018. For the last 26 years my typical yearly trout catch totals have averaged between 2,000-3,000 trout per season over roughly 22-30 outings per year. Sometimes I’d get more and occasionally less depending on how busy family life was with young children. The last two years, with my kids now grown up and my vacation days expanding greatly, I’ve had a lot of additional time to do what I love to do. Be outdoors! No more evening soccer practices or weekend sports games. It’s just freed up a lot of time and that will probably get better and better as the years pass.

The season started out a little slow through the months of March and April. Cold weather and other responsibilities, such as fire wood duties, took a bite out of my time, but to be honest I didn’t really know where the year was headed at that point. I wasn’t very aggressive and the season had yet to develop an identity.

Water Vertebrate Salmon-like fish Fin Underwater

Then May came, along with warmer days and nights. I fished 12 times and caught over 1000 trout.

Flower Plant Water Plant community Natural landscape

June came and the fishing got better with over 2600 trout coming to hand. Each month got progressively better and by the first part of August I was already blowing past the 7500 fish barrier that I set for myself last year. With so much time ahead yet I started thinking about the possibility of getting to 10,000 for the first time ever. It seemed daunting but conditions where over and over perfect and that mark took all of about 4 additional weeks to get to. There were weeks where I was catching 1000+ trout instead of months. At this point I was starring down the barrel of some trout catch totals that I never thought I’d be able to achieve and with the way the rain was coming down I saw a possible path to get there. That led me into September and into the first notable part of this summary.

The Worst BUT Best Month of the Year.

Annually you can mark it down that September will be my worst fishing month of the year. Typically the month is hot and dry, water levels are terrible, and whatever transition that happens leading onto fall just makes fishing tough. September has just never been good to me. This season, following a tremendous July and August that saw me catch and release 2,909 and 2,933 trout respectively, I embarked on a September that I figured would be better than usual but still…..it’s September.

Water Cloud Plant Sky Tree

I was mentally ready for a slow down in action. Then it rained. And it rained again. Water level began the month perfect in eastern PA and continued that way throughout the entire month with storm front after storm front pulling through the region. I fished nearly the entire month under optimal flows. I managed to get on the water 19 times and caught a monthly (all months ever) record 3,016 trout. I had never crested the 3000 trout mark for a month prior to this and to do it in the month of September was irony at its finest! For the month I had outing of over 300 trout twice and 200 trout 6 times. That’s way absolutely perfect conditions can do. The months of July, August, and Sept all represented progressive monthly all-time records for me.

Water Salmon-like fish Fisherman Oncorhynchus Brown trout

An Outing Unlike Any Other.

A large portion of my fishing takes place in the eastern part of Pennsylvania within 1.5 hours of where I live in the Lehigh Valley. That said, I follow good water……If it takes traveling to all corners of the state then that’s what I do. This year saw me travel to fish (outside of 1.5 hours from home) on 13 of the 126 times I fished. Needless to say it was a tremendous rainfall year on the home front and eastern PA enjoyed stronger flows than any other region in the state by a mile. Grateful is an understatement. Even with that I enjoy getting out of the area on adventures. I look forward to waking up early, brewing up a cup of coffee, and listening to a Joe Rogan podcast during a 2.75 hour drive west. So on the morning of June 26th , after traveling back to SWPA the evening before, I set sail from my mom’s house in the direction of a favorite stream that I fish at least once annually. Conditions were near perfect with mostly cloudy skies, air temps in the 70s, and dynamite water levels. Everything was lined up for a banner day. As usual the first beautiful pool located right by one of the few access locations didn’t fish very well at all. That’s not all that uncommon for good looking spot that get pressure close to parking areas. Never the less I caught a few small trout right away and it didn’t take long for things to really open up. At the end of the first 20 minutes I had already caught and released over 20 mostly brown trout with a few rainbows mixed in.

Water Salmon-like fish Fisherman Oncorhynchus Fish

Hour number two, with no access points nearby and clearly under uneducated trout, was incredible with over 50 trout coming to hand. I was catching 3-4 trout from every likely….and not likely looking spot and as fast as I could cast another trout was on the line. There were trout in great habitat and trout in the shallow unproductive riffles. They were out in force! For several hours after that I caught and released over 50 trout per hour. Since I use a pitch counter to keep track of fish caught, and don’t keep detailed records on each fish, it’s nothing for me to catch 3 average trout in under a minute when the fishing is good.

Water Fish Beak Crocodile Lake

I rarely have hours were I catch 50/60 fish but on this day I did it over and over and over and the fishing never really slowed down at all over the 9+ hours I was on the water. When I finally came to my hop out point around 4PM I had caught and released a personal best 570 trout over 9.75 hours. This was the 2nd time that I’d topped the 500 trout mark in a single outing, with my previous best day coming in 2019 when I caught and released 520 trout over 11 hours on the water. Days with this kind of action don’t come around very often so when they do it’s an incredible time. The following day I went back and caught another 204 giving me 774 trout caught and released in 2 days.

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Finishing off the Year in BIG Way.

I’ve caught a lot of big trout this year. More than I ever have in one season by a long shot.

Water Plant Crocodilia Nile crocodile Outdoor recreation

But even though I’d broken my own personal best months ago I still had a goal in mind. Despite a valiant effort leading up the final two days of the calendar year (a goal I set in October), I just figured that I wasn’t going to catch the couple that I needed despite my very best effort, which I was fine with. But with warm weather approaching, a rare late December treat, thins were still in play. I wasn’t planning to fish for large trout deliberately but it was in the back of my mind. On December 30th I set off to fish a small relatively local wild brown trout water that I’d fished several times this year already. When I arrived the water was somewhat low (first time I’ve said that all year really) and I was just looking to enjoy the last few days and reflect on all the time I was able to spend doing what I love. After seeing no signs of life in the first small pool I approached one of the largest pools on the creek (still small) and let a cast fly. BOOM, I knew right away I had a nice fish on and when it surfaced I knew it was a big one. Prayed that it wouldn’t get off and I quickly cranked in the 18” wild brown and released it. I just thought “Bonus fish” in my head and needed just one more 16” or greater trout to reach my goal. One the very next cast, BOOM again!

Water Plant Salmon-like fish Grass Watercourse

This one was 17.5”! I couldn’t believe it. I just laughed as I never in my wildest dreams expected that to happen on this creek let alone do it on my first two fish on back to back casts. Trout fishing is a crazy sport at times. I added 1 more large trout to the day before leaving. So the last day of the season came, December 31st, and after all the effort I’d put into the season there was no was that I wasn’t going to fish. Following a quick goose hunt in the morning I arrived at my chosen stream around 10am. The weather was very warm for December at 52 degrees and the previous night wasn’t much colder. A low fog hung over the area and deep clouds filled the sky. The sound of Canada and Snow Geese echoed in the distance as I slipped on my boots and grabbed my rod. The fishing was only ok at first for mostly smaller wild browns and over the first 2 hours I caught only 12 trout. The water was a little lower than I would have liked so I expected slower fishing. In hour 3 I approached a nice deep run and made a routine cast which was greeted with a heavy strike and an 18” wild brown was my reward. Again I just grinned because this was not known as a big trout stream for me. 2 minutes later from the upper section of this run I let, what might be my best cast of the year, go into a tight slot between two grape vines and an overhanging branch to a submerged log about 15’ back from the obstacles. The spinner nestling right in next to the habitat and sunk quickly. As I closed the bail on my Shimano Ci4 I saw a quick flash and felt a hard strike. A large rainbow rushed out of the cover and downstream as quickly as it could. I was stunned by the size of this fish in such a small stream. It did several giant leaps but since switching over to size 8 trebles recently there wasn’t much of a chance of it getting away and I quickly scooped up the perfectly finned rainbow that had clearly been in the creek for a while. I was absolutely giddy about that fish and the day overall. It was a more then generous way for the fishing gods to allow me to close out the season but to catch a fish like this on the last possible day. I couldn’t have asked for more.

Water Mammal Fisherman Plant Sky

Other notable trout caught included several large wild browns over 20”

Water Vertebrate Crocodile Smile Hunting

Water Hunting Plant Smile Fisherman

Water Smile Hunting Noodling Hat

And my 21st and 22nd wild tiger trout all time.

Water Fishing reel Salmon-like fish Grass Fisherman

Terrestrial plant Plant Terrestrial animal Grass Electric blue

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
By The Numbers

It was a tremendous year as I’ve mentioned and I invested an impossible amount of time in doing so. Around juggling a busy full time job, family obligations, home ownership, and other hobbies like hunting, I did everything I could to spend as much time on the water as possible. I used almost every ounce of my vacation allotment at work on fishing, spent most weekends fishing, and fished after work a ton. My time on the water yielded me 16,478 trout caught and released during 623.25 hours on the water over 126 days of fishing. I averaged a little over 130 trout per outing and my average outing was almost 5 hours long. All of these items are personal bests by a long shot.
For the year I averaged just over 26.4 trout per every hour I fished. Also a personal best. My previous bests were 24.7 trout per hour in 2020, 23.2 trout per hour in 2018, and 23.0 trout per hour in 2005.

Font Number Screenshot Parallel Circle

As a spinner fisherman I’m truly at the mercy of mother nature and this banner year was no doubt brought about by her willingness to provide me near constant rain all season. Over 126 days on the water I never one time had to deal with truly low water conditions. In fact I fished optimal conditions almost every time out and that led to many monster outings. While I don’t keep very detailed stats on individual trout caught I do keep extremely details stats on stream and weather conditions. This allows me to make extremely good stream selections and for the most part the data is so extensive that I rarely ‘miss’ on a stream choice although it does occasionally happen that I have poor fishing under perfect conditions. Either way, great data is a major key to great fishing. Start keeping as much as you can if you don’t already. My top 10 days gave trout numbers of 572, 484, 348, 341, 340, 329, 310, 310, 271, and 260. Conversely I had some REALLY slow days also and my top 10 slowest outings yielded only 3, 4, 4, 6, 12, 14, 15, 15, 18, and 20.
I had one day catching over 500 trout, two days catching over 400 trout, eight days catching over 300 trout, twenty-six days over 200 trout, and eighty-one days over 100 trout. On 45 of the 126 days I fished I did not make it to the 100 trout barrier.

It was also an excellent year for big trout. I caught and released 125 trout 16” or larger with 16 of them exceeding 20” in length. I rarely to never specifically target larger trout but they reside in locations that I fish so I happen upon them fairly often. I caught 16” or > fish from 27 different streams and my number one ‘Big Trout’ stream gave up 50 of them.

Water Vertebrate Watercraft Crocodilia Casting (fishing)

I really get around and fished all regions of the state aside from NW PA. My travels took me to 50 different streams around the state scattered over 17 counties. The stream I visited the most I hit 19 times and caught 2,214 trout over 101.5 hours on the water (21.8 trout per hour). My 2nd most fished stream of the year, which is my #1 all-time stream for trout caught, I fished 11 times for 2,209 trout over 63.25 hours on the water (34.9 trout per hour). Together they accounted for just over a quarter of my total catch on the year. Both streams are very long so I was able to fish different sections and manage each stream appropriately to avoid overfishing. The funny part is due to low water in April and May I wasn’t even sure I would fish the 2nd stream at all this year. Then it rained and rained and I was able to hit it over and over. I don’t often fish streams or stream sections more than once or twice a year but when you fish this much it’s really not an option. There aren’t enough creeks and you have to follow the water. You just have to manage the water and try not over fish it.

Water Plant Hunting Plant community Fisherman

Almost all of the streams I fish are freestones which means I need wet years in order to really cash in. Luckily this was one of those years. Of the 50 streams I visited only 10 were limestone streams.

Water Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape Tree

I enjoy limestone stream fishing but for all of its advantages they come with a lot of baggage too. Of the 16 outings that I made to limestoners I probably saw 10x the number of fisherman as I did in the other 110 outings combined. On one particular day in December on Central Pennsylvania’s famous Spring Creek I saw at least 35 anglers throughout the day (both while driving and fishing to be fair). I probably saw more fisherman that one day then I’ve seen all year on all the streams I fish in eastern PA combined. That said, due to the continued pandemic situation I’ve encountered more fishermen then ever over the past 2 years. I used to go almost entire years without ever running into anyone. Maybe 2-3 other fisherman a year. This year I probably saw other fisherman on 25% of my outings and all but 1 of my outings to limestone streams. With the exception of a fall day on Penns Creek where the other fisherman using different tactics couldn’t have been more rude to me, I had nothing but positive encounters all year. Make no mistake that as a spinner fisherman I’m certainly walking into the lion’s den on places like Spring Creek, Penns, Little J, Yellow Creek and other famous PA streams but it’s nice to have pleasant exchanges with all types and I truly enjoy those stream side chats with fly fisherman (that’s who I typically bump into).

Water Plant community Plant Fluvial landforms of streams Natural landscape

The most notable ‘run in’ I had this season came while I was wrapping up a late November trip to an eastern PA stream. I came to my bike that I had stashed in the weeds and there were two fly fisherman walking out. Both were a little older and politely said hello to me as I was unlocking my bike. A conversation struck and we exchanged names. When the older of the two mentioned his name, Bill Krauss, a ‘famous’ trout fisherman locally known for keep count of his total catch an annual basis, I was interested in meeting him. It took about 10 seconds for him to ask me if I wanted to see a photo of his 90,000th trout caught on a fly. His enthusiasm for his accomplishment made me smile and the photo said a thousand words! What a feat for this guy and he was excited about it for good reason. We chatted for far too long about our similarities and differences. He was impressed that at 45 I’d caught over 61,000 trout lifetime and said to me ‘you’ll be at 90K before too long’ with a laugh. He was a genuinely nice fella and very open with his tactics, streams, and approach. I returned the favor and mentioned a few streams locally that he hadn’t fished much and told exactly him when to fish them. I believe he said he was 88 years old but looked much younger. I truly wish him the best of luck and hope he gets to 100K. Even at that age he was over 1000 trout for the year by quite a ways. I can only hope I’m as sprite as this gentlemen when I’m there. Either way, a wonderful streamside meeting.

All of my fishing is done with a custom built rod using made 5’1” MHX Spin jig blank. Over the years I like to think that I’ve became quite good at making this particular rod from the wrappings, to hand crafting the handle to my own comfortable specs. This year on June 10th I had my primary and favorite rod ever break on me while trying to bounce a spinner free from a rock snag. When the spinner shook loose the rod tip hit a laurel branch and that was that. I carry electrical tape with me and spliced the rod tip to finish the trip but I used my back up for the next 2 months while I worked out building a new primary. I ended up building 2 new rods so that I could have a back up to my backup when the primary rod breaks. Redundancy is a good thing in fishing.

I had lots of good (bad) falls this year (falling into the creek). Part of the reason I catch a lot of fish is that I move fast. Way faster than is safe for a lot of the slippery streams I fish. Unfortunately when you do that you inevitably ‘slip up’ and I do that more them I’d like. While I’m ‘young’ it’s not a huge deal for the most part but as I get older I need to start to slow down.

Skin Plant Arm Window Leg

I luckily avoided serious injury but I took ‘A drink’ around 20 times this year with several of them being total soakers where I was pretty much swimming haha. I really need to carry a Go Pro to record my bloopers. That would be more entertaining than my actual fishing for those following along. I do have several life-long injuries from falls such as a crooked pointer finger that I twisted it up in a rock on a fall and a chronic sore wrist from an impact when a log broke that I was crawling over and I broke my fall and compacted my wrist joint. Been sore ever since at times. The price I pay I suppose haha.

I didn’t have any real amazing wild life encounters this year. Considering how much time I spent out there I was surprised that I didn’t see anything crazy. I saw many American Bald Eagles in places that I haven’t seen them prior. An ever increasing population of Great Blue Herons and Mergansers tormented my every move this season.

Water Bird Vertebrate Plant Natural environment

I watched a pack of 20+ mergansers completely blast the trout in a riffle on Penns Creek in autumn. I watched them catch and fight over at least 10 trout in just minutes. The way they worked together was astonishing. It was like a pack of wolves. Once a trout shot out there was very little hope that it was surviving. Trout are fast but Mergansers are WAY faster. The biggest impression that was made on me by nature this year was when I rustled up a large western yellow jacket nest streamside and they tore me up good, chasing me up the rocky stream bed relentlessly for around 100 yards. I took close to 20 stings on the back of my legs and back. It left me nervous and anxious streamside for the remainder of the season until it got cold. They teach you a lesson you don’t soon forget and unfortunately this has happened to me 3 of the past 6 years, although not nearly as bad. BAD LUCK. That’s as good as I’ve got for wildlife and it wasn’t very good haha.

I had many landowner interactions this year with all of them being very pleasant. Even if the fishing is very good I like to take a minute or two to remove my ball cap and have a nice conversation with the property owner. Before ending the conversation I always make it a point to give them a good heart felt thank you for allowing access to their land. I don’t take it for granted. My favorite encounter this year came on my favorite stream when a man was raking leaves into the stream as I approached. He didn’t hear me approaching but when he saw me he quickly apologized for tossing leaves into the water, for which I couldn’t have cared less about haha. We had a good chat and I noticed he had what was most likely Parkinson Disease fairly good (trying not to make assumptions as there are few reasons a man’s hands could tremble). He watched me fish for a little and I caught a few which he got a real hoot out of . We had a nice chat about my approach with spinners. After the conversation I reached into my pouch and pulled out a small handful of spinner and handed them to the guy. He was pretty happy about that and I was happy to offer them up. I hope he caught some nice trout with them.
My truck was a total work horse this year as it’s been for the past 12 years that I’ve owned it.

I put roughly 12,500 miles on the truck doing nothing else but fishing this year. That doesn’t include regular driving. Just fishing activities. At current gas prices that means I spent about $2,933 on fuel just to fish. I probably shouldn’t have figured that out just now because it’s depressing! haha. I’ll pass 300,000 miles by April and then it’s probably time to start shopping for a backup truck for when this one eventually breaks down. But for 2021 at least, I didn’t have one single issue with that pickup (knock on wood). So many things have to go right to have a great year and a reliable vehicle is part of that.

Every trout caught this year was caught on a solid brass spinner. I caught fish on nothing else all year. I did switch to a plug for 5 minutes in November but I’m actually glad I didn’t catch anything and switched back to a spinner after thinking about it for a hot minute. I wanted to catch every trout on a spinner. I occasionally used a white blade spinner but that was a very rare occurrence. I’ve used the white spinner less and less over the years. I went through about 400 spinners this year. I’m very impatient with a spinner that loses fish. I change them out often until I find a spinner that wants to catch trout….even though there all exactly the same. The rest end up in the junk heap ;-).

Brown Wood Arthropod Insect Concrete

Equipment Review.

I went through 2.5 pairs of Korkers Devils Canyon wading boots this season. Unfortunately I’m no longer a huge Korkers fan because the toe cap that holds the interchangeable sole in place only lasts about 29-35 trips or around 125 hours before it’s so worn the sole slips out.

Water Tire Automotive tire Tread Road surface

Miles certainly matter and I put a lot of those on these boots too. At $200 I’ll never buy another pair until that is fixed. Lucky their warranty is good and they replaced my last pair without any hassle. The rest of the boot, including the BOA lacing system, is great but their toe cap is crap. I went through 2 pairs of wading pants. The Cabelas brand only lasts about 20-25 trips but the Patagonia pair I just spent a ton of coin on have lasted a good long while now and seem rugged as heck. I put my gear to the test so if it withstands my beating it’s good stuff. I like them, they’re comfortable, and the flexibility they provide on the water is excellent. The bottom line is that you can catch more fish faster in wading pants or wet wading then you can in hip waders for no other reason than the time you save navigating streams. The flexibility is worth a few extra trout every hour. Plus when you fall in you get way less wet with the tight belt haha. I continue to use Shimano Stradic reels, which I’ve been using since I bought my first Stradic in 1995. Currently I own the final Stradic Ci4 model which is a phenomenal reel. I also own a standard Stradic 1000 model. The Ci4 is bullet proof, It’s as close to unbreakable as you can get although it will eventually wear out like anything else. It just takes forever. Unfortunately Shimano has chosen to discontinue the line in favor of the new Vanford reel but they don’t make a 1000 series for it (yet) so it’s worthless in my line of ‘work’. I’ll go back to the standard Stradic until something better comes along.

Attachments

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I also enjoyed gathering and eating a few things I found along the creek such as mushrooms like this large 'Chicken of the Woods' that I found along a SE PA stream close to where I live.

Plant Polyporales Mushroom Tree Hen-of-the-wood

Gathering Chestnuts

Hand Plant Finger Thumb Gesture

WIld Blue Berries, brambles, and grapes basically every time I stroll past them. Even good fishing can't stop me from indulging in some stream side eats haha.

Food Plant Fruit Leaf Branch

So in closing, it takes so many things to have a year like this all come together. Health, family stability, work success, good luck with vehicles, good weather. If even one of those goes wrong you have bigger issues than fishing to deal with. Thankfully my health and the health of my family around me has been good, it’s always a great year when they’re healthy regardless of fishing success. Family stability has also been a success for this year and it hasn’t been without effort. Anyone who has a family knows that there are ups and downs throughout a year but avoiding big trouble is a WIN. My current job has never been better. I finished up some major projects, I got a great promotion, work with awesome people daily, get a good amount of time off, and made it through the pandemic gainfully employed which I am always grateful for. And lastly the weather….I’ve been at this for a long time and I can say, without a doubt, that this has been the best rainfall year that I can ever recall and there is no way I could have wrapped up a season like this without it. There were some floods that had me hopping around to avoid high water but I managed and that is always easier than trying to find water when things are low. That just never happened. I don’t take that granted and I know that the odds of another great rainfall year like this are slim. The chances are never good of all of these factors coming together over a full season but I apparently caught lightening in a bottle for 2021 and it produced a year full of adventure, amazing trout action, and memories I won’t soon forget. I hope, for those that took the time to read all this, that you found it entertaining and worthwhile. I had a lot of fun writing it and look forward to new adventures in 2022. Tight line to all in 2022.

Water Plant Natural landscape Fluvial landforms of streams Tree

·
Registered
65 Posts
"Lightning in a bottle" really describes it. just amazing. To use another cliche, you really did make hay while the sun shone. Thats an incredibly long time to keep focused with your nose to the grindstone. I can't imagine anybody else on planet earth ever catching more trout in a year than that.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Congratulations on a truly phenomenal year! Not only did you blow away your personal records on trout caught, but also big trout.

You have some really beautiful stream photos and some really beautiful trout. Those big browns are awesome. The native brookies are beautiful, and some of the rainbows are certainly prettier than rainbows one usually encounters. The big rainbow you caught on your last fishing outing is really impressive. Wild tigers are so cool. I've only caught 3 in my life. I may never get another one.

I use Korkers but I don't have the problem with the toe that you do. My problem is the sides split. A pair normally lasts me about a year.

I've been concerned for a while about how often you fall when fishing. As you know, I'm pretty careful when I wade because I've had a couple of significant injuries from falling. As we age, we're not nearly as nimble as we used to be.
I've used a wading staff for several years. I know everyone doesn't like to use one, but I've found them to be very useful. Not only do they provide stability when wading, you can use them to test rocks, water depth, and freeing snags in deeper water. They're also a big help in ascending/descending banks. I also use mine to poke ahead if going through an area that I think might conceal a snake. I take mine everywhere, but you wouldn't need to. My wading staff is a walking stick that I drilled a hole in and attached a chain. It's much less expensive and much quieter than a metal wading staff. Something to think about.

Your encounter with the yellow jackets was scary. Thankfully, I've never had something like that happen.

Looking at your stats, it's amazing that your highest hog month was August! Most of the time, August fishing is lousy. As you said, you were fortunate to get some prime water conditions at a time of the year when we've come to expect the exact opposite.

Thanks for posting this and again, congrats on a truly amazing year!

·
Registered
Ravin R9
6,538 Posts
I won't stream fish without my wading stick, actually it's an old ski pole.
It does get in the way sometimes but the benefits far outweigh the downsides. My body already has too much hardware in it. (lol)
Either way be safe fellow anglers.

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would love to use a wading staff and would 100% benefit. Currently I cast while I walk which is, of course, not safe also but I'm still at that point. Someday, whatever I decide, I need to fall less. It's an acknowledged problem on my end.

Yes I was surprised about August. It mostly had to do with prime big trout streams being perfect all month prior to the major floods in early September. I was fishing larger creeks so much.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I would love to use a wading staff and would 100% benefit. Currently I cast while I walk which is, of course, not safe also but I'm still at that point. Someday, whatever I decide, I need to fall less. It's an acknowledged problem on my end.

Yes, I was surprised about August. It mostly had to do with prime big trout streams being perfect all month prior to the major floods in early September. I was fishing larger creeks so much.
I cast while wading a lot too. My wading staff trails behind me. Since it's wooden, it floats.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You definitely had an amazing year!! All of you serious trout fishermen amaze me with your year around success. One of these days I may just have to start chasing them again.
The right conditions for water you plan to fish for the fish you’re after can make all the difference between a great, good or poor outing.
With that gentleman raking leaves and having the shakes when he took a brake to talk to you could have been essential tremors. (Sometimes called familial tremors) I have them and when I rake or use a blower for leaves and my arm muscles tighten it takes quite a while until they relax and my shaking subsides. This is commonly thought to be Parkinson’s but the 2 differ in that tremors are worse from or with activity and Parkinson’s is worse at rest and relaxed. Just an FYI and in case someone else notices the same with themselves.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and posts periodically through the year. Good luck in 2022!

·
20,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks fishr64! That's interesting and why I added that little disclaimer there. I hated writing it that way as I just didn't wanna peg someone with an affliction they may not have although it was the only thing I knew that did that. Humans can certainly have a lot of issues that's for sure. Thanks for chiming in with that.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks fishr64! That's interesting and why I added that little disclaimer there. I hated writing it that way as I just didn't wanna peg someone with an affliction they may not have although it was the only thing I knew that did that. Humans can certainly have a lot of issues that's for sure. Thanks for chiming in with that.
Not a problem. Just thought I would pass along since you were concerned. 😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts