1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited a few semi-auto shotguns and a couple
of them don't cycle the shells after the first shot. Anyone
else have this problem with your auto-loaders? What do you
think it is? The gun, shells? Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Try breaking them down and give them a good cleaning, semis need to be clean to function correctly.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do that, hopefully that is the problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Most likely cause is a dirty gun. If they are Remingtons then replace the "O" rings. Make sure that everything is assembled properly. If all of that fails the you will need to go to a hotter load. If that doesn't work then the trading pile sounds like the proper place to send them for a more reliable model.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if its a 11-87 it may a need a new magazine spring ,the shells in the mag ,must come back with enough force to trip the release on the follower that raises the shell up
I put a new one in mine and works fine now ,, also during the off season i take the spring out so it is not compressed for long periods of time

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One is a Remington 1100 and the other two are Franchi's.
My uncle kept them clean but they haven't been shot in
years. I will clean them first and if the problem consists
I will check the o rings or try other shells.

·
Registered
769 Posts
the 1100 is a gas recoil gun so it is almost certainly the O rings or the 2 gas ports, in the barrel by the metal ring that attaches the barrel to the mag tube. use a steel pick to clean those holes out, and replace the O rings. the franchis I think are spring recoil. that is a totally different bag of worms. I would clean those franchis really well, then fire a bunch of nigh brass shot or slugs or buck shot out of it. spring recoil guns can be persnickety with low brass.

if none of this works time for the gun smith on the Rem and I would call Franchi on the others

·
Registered
359 Posts
Ditto on the advice on the Franchis. My dad has one he picked up while on leave in Italy and it refused to cycle any light loads until we managed to get a different spring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts