The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am trying to sight in a 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slugger with a Leupold 2x7 VX1 scope. I shot 15 slugs total out ofthis gun yesterday evening and for some reason i am out of adjustment on the left to right. the gun shoots so far left i am out of threads on the screw on the scope. I am a begginer but need some advice on what could be wrong. Afreind said to take the scope off and remount it. He siad that maybe it's not centered correctly. I find that hard to believe but at this point i'll try anything. The scope is mounted with "high" rings and a weaver mount tapped directly to the barrel.. any help would be greatly appreciated. -JRB

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Sometimes it just happens.........the rings could be bad and be twisted a little bit or the tap job may not be perfectly straight..............

You have two options here

1. use a shim on the side of the scope allowing you to gain enough to be able to adjust the windage of your scope

2. Buy a set of rings that have windage adjustments built into them which allow you to adjust the rings themselves left and right.....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
that happened to me one time
i know this is going to sound odd ,but if you have both mounts going the same way (thumb screws same side) turn the front one the other way
had one that did the same thing and the gunshop did this and it worked

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Racin41 said:
that happened to me one time
i know this is going to sound odd ,but if you have both mounts going the same way (thumb screws same side) turn the front one the other way
had one that did the same thing and the gunshop did this and it worked
Racin, that sounds jsut crazy enough to work! I will try that tonight. I just want you guys to know that I appreciate the help. Last night I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the gun away! thanks so much. -JRB

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buckshot1822 said:
Sometimes it just happens.........the rings could be bad and be twisted a little bit or the tap job may not be perfectly straight..............

You have two options here

1. use a shim on the side of the scope allowing you to gain enough to be able to adjust the windage of your scope

2. Buy a set of rings that have windage adjustments built into them which allow you to adjust the rings themselves left and right.....
I will try this if flipping one of the mounts around doens't work. (I never knew mounts like that even existed, so I've learned a few things today!) thanks very much. -JRB

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If you decide to throw it out, let me know where you live.

Good luck getting it sighted in tonight. I will be hitting the bench tonight to sight in the new rounds the UPS man will be delivering this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Is the scope new? If not it was most likely adjusted to whatever it was previously sighted in on and that takes away some adjustment right off the bat. If not new you will have to center the scope again to get the full range of adjustment.
If it is a new scope the suggestions above are well worth a try and also unless you are getting good groups(even well out of center) it might just not shoot that particular brand of slug well and another brand/type might help.
What are you shooting out of it now?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mfuff, the scope is brand new. I will take your advice and try anohter brand of slug tonight and report back tommorow. Last night I was shooting the Hornady SST's and at like 14 bucks per box it was adding to the frustration!! I will also clean the gun really well to rule that out. thanks -JRB

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Best of luck and keep us updated. With having a new scope it sounds like adjusting the mounts may be the way to go unless it just REALLY didn't like that ammo.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i switched the front mount around and it did the trick. I can't thank you guys enough, I was really frustrated and just couldn't make sense of what was going on. The gun shoots really well and had it shooting 2 inch groups which I was delighted with. I really can't thank you guys enough for the tips. The gun is capable of mroe accuracy but I dind't have more time to really fine tune it. (My shoulder was getting a little sore after 2 days of shooting so many rounds too...I think I was starting to flinch a little towards the end so i figured it was time to quit!)Thanks again for everyone's input. -JRB

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
Great news
If you think your shoulder was sore after that shooting, try it with a 12 gauge slug gun without a heavy barrel and no scope in a t-shirt
I actually like the kick of guns and the abuse

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to report back after everyone's help sighting in that H&R 20 gauge. I went down to Maryland this weekend for my annual hunting trip with my Penn State buddy. He and his 2 brothers and father have a lease on approx 300 acres of farm land with large several sections of wooded area. The farmer has sustained massive crop damage to the point it was really becoming a huge financial issue for him. Well my friend has a core group of hunters that he hunts with constantly. I was lucky enough to be on stand, along with 4 other shooters while they put on 3 drives Saturday afternoon. I would estimate that I must have seen 50+ deer at least run through the one section of property i was on. I had never seen so many deer in my entire life.

I shot 4 times and killed 3 mature does. The gun performed very well and all the shots were double lung. I must say that the ammo was Remington Copper Solids and I was confused each time I shot since the deer didn't even flinch, (they moved so little that I frankly thought I had missed.) Each one took a few steps and then simply layed down. I haven't taken that many deer in my life but I never saw anything like it. In the past the other deer I have taken had either jumped up when hit or kicked or made some movement. All these deer barely moved a muscle. After my first shot I sat and watched this doe, looked at the gun with disbelief thinking I had missed, then the deer walked for a few steps and just layed down. So I can only say that the Remington Ammo really did it's job well. (These does were enormous as well.) Only one Buck was taken that day and that was considered a "scrub" by these guy's standards. (even though it was a nice 8 pointer in my relatvely inexperienced opinion.)

It was great day and I jsut wanted to let everyone know that the gun performed really well and wanted to thank everyone again for all their help getting it right. -JRB

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Congrats on all your success. Sometimes those Copper Solids plug up, do not expand, and whistle right through. It is tough to switch slugs if they shoot so well for you though. The Sabot slugs with the ballistic type tips(Rem. Accu-Tip, Hornady SST, and the Federals with the Barnes slug) on them expand really well and so do the Lightfields and Buckhammers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the exit wound was substantially larger than the entry wound but I didn't recover any of the fired slugs. Just so I'm clear, is the lack of expansion of the slug the reason the deer barely flinched when shot?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It COULD be the reason. I don't think I have ever found an expanded Copper Solid in the dirt bank behind my target stand. Each one I find has some wood from the target board and dirt plugging the nose and they are not expanded at all.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
nearly every deer I have seen hit with a sabot slug was DRT. I don't think their lack of movement after the shot was due to the bullet not expanding...I think it's because the deer is DEAD from the impact, but just doesn't know it yet.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah you are probably right. I guess I just expected a kick, a jump or something. I'm not complaining at all...I'm glad the kill was quick. But I was just really surprised that they didn't really give me any indication they were hit,that's all.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i know every one I personally have hit went down quickly. no initial reaction...but 2 stumble steps and thud.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts